- Davey Jones and Calypso's relationship in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Yeah, that ended well.
- From the Hellboy movie art book: "When, in 1988, Liz Sherman joined the B.P.R.D., Hellboy fell in love. From then on, he knew the meaning of pain."
- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of love: 'avoid, if at all possible.'"
- The only woman James Bond ever married (Teresa "Tracy" Di Vincezo) was killed moments afterwards in a botched attempt to assassinate him. In later movies, it shows that even with all his flirting and skirt-chasing that he still mourns her.
- Men in Black:
J: You know what they say, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.K: (looking horribly cold and restrained) Try it.
- Love Actually. Daniel knows something has been bothering his stepson for a long time now, and he finally gets it out of him: he's in love with a classmate.
Daniel: [laughing] Aren't you a bit young to be in love?
Daniel: Oh. Right. Well, I'm a little relieved!
Daniel: Well, you know, I thought it might be something worse!
Sam: Worse than the total agony of being in love?
Daniel: ...No, you're right. Yeah, total agony.
- Any of Wong Kar-wai 's films, especially In the Mood for Love and 2046.
- The hero of (500) Days of Summer suffers a lot when his love to Summer remains unrequited.
- Stefan, from the film Letter from an Unknown Woman never remembers Lisa, the woman who has loved him her whole life, and once he does find out about her, it's too late. Lisa dies.
- The Sword in the Stone. Three words: heartbroken girl squirrel.
- The whole point of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World ... in this case love multiplies itself by seven and storms into town on a homicidal rampage.
- Poor Scott. As one tagline approximately reads: Scott Pilgrim has no trouble finding a girlfriend. It's getting rid of them that proves difficult.
- But it turns out alright.
- Beauty and the Beast: Goodness, the Beast's heartbreak after the uplifting ballroom scene is palpable. As he lets Belle go to her father at the risk of breaking the curse and spending his life with Belle he starts sobbing and finally breaks into a primal scream of despair as Belle gallops away. This is essentially the entire message of the Villain Song in the midquel Enchanted Christmas.
- The central theme of the Mexican film Amar Te Duele, which is about a rich girl and a poor boy who fall in love with each other, but society tries to keep them apart. It's even in the meaning of the title!
- Strange Magic: Marianne catches her fiancee cheating on her right before her marriage, causing her to swear off love. Turns out the supposed Big Bad is similarly bitter and they bond over it.
- One of the major themes of the musical Camelot. Love a woman? She's either married to your best friend or having an affair with your best friend. Love a man? He's either married to your girlfriend or having an affair with your wife. Love two men? You've made one of them a cuckold and the other a traitor. And you just can't seem to stop.
- The Hunger Games: This trope is one of the two main reasons why Katniss Everdeen is so reluctant to admit to herself that she's falling in love.