A quadrology of Fantasy books written by Dawn Cook (also author of Urban Fantasy
series The Hollows
). It consists of the following books:
- First Truth (2002)
- Hidden Truth (2002)
- Forgotten Truth (2003)
- Lost Truth (2004)
The first two books centre on Alissa, a girl of mixed heritage, and her quest to the Hold and subsequently acquiring the Book of First Truth. The third book focusses on Alissa's unintentional travel back through time and her dealings with that. In the last book she tries to find the missing Masters of the Hold. Needs a Better Description
This series provides examples of:
- Apocalypse How - Class 1. It is implied this happens regularly.
- Arranged Marriage: The Masters practice this, because their population is tiny and arranging marriages helps them keep a more viable gene pool.
- Babies Ever After: Alyssa is pregnant when the series ends.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind
- Blessed with Suck: Shadufs, who can see the future- but only future deaths, starting with their own. Shadufs continue to see their own possible deaths, and become bitter and harsh because of it. When having someone burn their traces is an option, they tend to regard it as a mercy.
- Chekhov's Gun - Talon is rather old for her kind of bird.
- Close Enough Timeline - There are minor changes but it's not like there was another chance to do it right. See Laser-Guided Amnesia.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus - By implication and invocation of her name, Mirim.
- De-power- Burning someone's traces, although some can recover depending on the severity of the damage.
- Dying Race - The whole point of Masters and the Hold is to prevent the extinction of rakus.
- Fate Worse than Death - Shaduf's first death experience is their own. Then the death of everyone they meet or think of, and their power is permanently active.
- First Guy Wins: Alyssa ends up marrying Strell, the first man she meets in the series.
- I Know You Are In There Somewhere Fight
- In-Series Nickname: "Useless" for Talo-Toecan.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia - Justified in it was the how of time travel that was erased.
- Love Triangle - Strell, Alissa and Lodesh
- Magic A Is Magic A - How wards work, among others.
- Manipulative Bastard - Keribdis
- Mayfly-December Romance - Justified and later on subverted.
- Our Dragons Are Different - Rakus
- Our Ghosts Are Different - Residual energy of tragic past events. Only death unleashes such energies.
- Psychic Powers - Shaduf are precognitive of a persons - and their own - death. The consequences of such unbidden knowledge are explored. Septhama are able to see ghosts and make them disappear for the regular eye.
- Really 700 Years Old - Masters. Lodesh is cursed and as such 300+ years old
- Shipper on Deck: Alyssa's teacher wants her to marry Connen-Neute, because he believes they're the only two young Masters alive. He has no luck in this, since while they're friends, it's completely platonic- with him being a little intimidated by her or rather, he's scared of her alternate personality, Beast.
- Shown Their Work - The part on recessive and dominant geno- and phenotypes as well as preparing food.
- Split Personality Merge - Beast does this at the end of the Last Truth in her desire to understand love.
- Split Personality Takeover - Masters are supposed to destroy their wild personalities as soon as they emerge, when the Master first changes shape; the alternative is to have it destroy them, leaving a so-called "feral". Alyssa and "Beast" come to an accord instead, sharing their body for a time before ultimately undergoing a Split Personality Merge. This is a good thing, since it turns out that the "losing" personalities aren't actually destroyed, and can even cause trouble after they're believed gone.
- Theme Naming: In the plains culture, siblings are always given names that start with the same letter- for example, Strell and all his brothers and sisters had names starting with S.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body - Played with.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting - Rakus and Master are interchangeable. They can theoretically change into another form, would be stuck in that, though, due to the Functional Magic.
- We Are as Mayflies - Masters usually live for hundreds of years.