"[[http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Jewels_of_Gwahlur The Servants of Bit-Yakin]]" (a.k.a. "Jewels of Gwahlur") is a Literature/ConanTheBarbarian story written by Creator/RobertEHoward. First published in March, 1935.
While working as a [[NewJobAsThePlotDemands military liaison]] in Keshan, Conan hears of the legendary Teeth of Gwahlur, a set of jewels more valuable than any other know to man, kept far away in the abandoned city of Alkmeenon, and overseen by an immortal goddess. Setting out to find them, Conan comes upon a mummy on the side of a cliff with a parchment in its hand. Conan can make out the words "Bit-Yakin", a powerful wizard who used to live in the abandoned city with his mysterious servants.
While in the city, Conan experiences a number of [[ContrivedCoincidence accidents]] which lead him to believe he is not alone. He then stumbles upon what appears to be the goddess, only for it to be a slave girl, Muriela, in disguise, working for an old rival of his. Turns out Conan is not the only one after the jewels, and after a number of [[GambitPileup crosses and double crosses]] it's a race to see who will get to the jewels first.
All the while, however, Conan can't help but shake the feeling they are being watched, and, after Muriela is kidnapped, he discovers some [[ExpositionDiagram exposition hieroglyphs ]] which confirms his worst fears: [[TitleDrop the servants of Bit-Yakin]] still live, and never left the city!
Creator/MarvelComics adapted the work in their ''Savage Sword of Conan'' magazine. Creator/DarkhorseComics would later adapt the story as a three part miniseries in 2005, with art by P. Craig Russell.
* DistinguishingMark: How Conan ID's a slave.
* DistressedDamsel: Muriela.
* ExactEavesdropping: Conan's source of information.
* FantasyCounterpartCulture: Bit-Yakin was a "Pelishtim".
* FauxDeath: Yelaya.
* FrazettaMan: The Servants, possibly. May also be a case of AllTrollsAreDifferent, although they're never referred to as such.
* FriendOrIdolDecision: Conan saves Muriela.
* GoMadFromTheRevelation: Threatened.
* GoodShepherd: One priest is incorruptible, which surprises the hell out of Conan.
* InelegantBlubbering: Unwise if you want to pass as a goddess.
* MineralMacGuffin: The Teeth of Gwahlur.
* PosthumousCharacter: Bit-Yakin.