Literature: The Ruby Red Trilogy
Love goes through all times, otherwise known as The Ruby Red Trilogy, the first part of which was published in 2009, is a trilogy of young adult novels by German author Kerstin Gier.16-year-old Gwendolyn Shepherd doesn't always like that her family has so many secrets. Her great aunt has visions, she herself can see things nobody else can and her cousin Charlotte has inherited her family's time travel gene, which is all anyone ever talks about.Then, however, it turns out that Gwen is actually the one to travel through time. Before she even really has a chance to protest, she is dealing with a secret council of snobs, attempts on her life, and – worst of all – her infuriating (but so good-looking!) travel companion Gideon de Villiers. While trying to uncover the secrets surrounding a prophecy about the time travellers, attending fancy parties in the past and having to keep up with her school work, Gwen realizes that falling in love in the middle of it all only makes matters worse.The trilogy consists of:
- Ruby Red
- Sapphire Blue
- Emerald Green
The Ruby Red Trilogy contains examples of:
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Gideon in Emerald Green, when Gwen is dying. Well, kind of dying.
- Big Bad: The Count of Saint Germain, aka Mr. Whitman.
- Book Dumb: Gwen and Lesley don't really pay attention at school (except in History class) and 'study' by watching popular movies only loosely related to the topic. Also, Gordon Gelderman:"Elizabeth I was so ugly that she couldn't get a husband. So everyone called her the Ugly Virgin."
- Butt Monkey: Gordon Gelderman. Mr. Marley as well.
- Costume Porn: Gwen's historical outfits are described in loving detail.
- Curtain Camouflage: During one of her first jumps in time, Gwen has to hide behind a curtain from her future self. Future!Gwen spots her, but distracts Gideon so he won't see Present!Gwen as well.
- Dances and Balls: Gwyneth and Gideon attend a few of these in the past.
- Deadpan Snarker: Gwyneth, Lesley, Gideon...Gideon: What a fun trip! Belgium is such a wildly exotic country. Don't we all just dream of spending three days in Belgium sometime?
- Dub Name Change: Gwyneth is Gwendolyn in the original German version.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Gideon. Charlotte sometimes shows a nicer side as well, though she is generally very cold to Gwyneth.
- Kiss of Distraction: At the ball in Emerald Green Gwen kisses Gideon to distract him from her past self who's hiding behind the curtain.
- Let's Just Be Friends: Gwen thinks Gideon is going to apologize for being a jerk and ask her to forgive him, turns out he thinks they should just be friends. She doesn't take it well.
- Only Sane Man: Mr. George.
- Pretty Boy: Gideon and his brother Raphael.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: Xemerius the gargoyle to Gwen.
- Time Machine: One that's powered by blood. (Only a drop is needed, though.) The characters who have the gene are able to travel through time without it, but this is dangerous because they could jump at any time. People who don't have the gene can't travel in time at all, time machine or not.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: How Gwen takes her mobile phone to the past despite it being forbidden.
- Where Is Your X Now?: In Emerald Green, Alcott asks Gwen where the Kurucs who are supposed to protect her are now. She realizes that they're probably still in the basement.
- Wild Teen Party: Usually, Cynthia Dale's parties are pretty boring. Then everybody decides to spike the punch...