The Revolution is a short story written by James Tank50us
News. It tells the story of a man who lost his wife and son at the outset of his countries civil war. The writer intentionally avoided naming anyone in the story, or even the town or country of which it is set. All that is known, is that it takes place in a typical 21st Century suburb. This was meant to place the reader in the shoes of the protagonist, to make them think about what it would be like if they
were in this situation.
The whole story can be read here
Should not be confused with the Video Games Revolution 1986
, Revolution X
and Re VOLUTION
. Should not be confused with the Films Revolution 1967
, Revolution 1968
, Revolution 1985
, Revolution 1989
, Revolution 2009
, and Revolution 2012
. Should not be confused with The History Channel
miniseries The Revolution 2006
, the ABC
series The Revolution
, the NBC
, and the Law & Order: Criminal Intent
". Should not be confused with the production company Revolution Studios
- Anyone Can Die: The protagonist loses his wife and oldest son. Some of his neighbors lose even more then that.
- Axe Crazy: Again, the Protagonist. He loses two, and he makes the government pay for with 134 of theirs KIA... by his hands.
- The government could also count, as they are willing to turn heavy weapons onto unarmed protesters just to stamp it out.
- And don't forget the agent in charge of the unit who broke into the protagonists home...
- Beware the Nice Ones: The Protagonist is willing to let his neighbors chants slide since he's a nice guy (both ways in this case), their kids get along well, and they have steaks at their place every now and then. But that was before the government broke into his home...
- Defiant to the End: How the lead agent sees the Protagonist when questioning him about his neighbor.
- Doomed Hometown: The protagonists entire town is now in full blown lock-down, and the government is rounding up anyone they don't like... just to kill them
- He Who Fights Monsters: The Protagonist isn't alone here. Many of the people from his home town are probably just as Axe Crazy as he is over what the government did. Although, to our knowledge, The Protagonist is the only one keeping count...
- La Résistance: Sure, he wasn't a rebel before... but after the deaths of his wife, oldest son, AND a good chunk of his home town... he became one.
- One Sided Battle: The resistance coming to the aid of the town, and take the agents by complete surprise.
- Overnight Conquest: Averted. The destruction of The Protagonists country started years before the main story takes place.
- Papa Wolf: The Protagonist was powerless to stop the deaths of his wife and oldest son... But he is now NOT powerless, and is not going to let anything happens to what's left of his kids.
- Reality Subtext: The author points out that while the inspiration came from a movie trailer, the premiss is meant to hit home with anyone reading it. As what happens in this short story, can, will, and is happening in various parts of the world.
- Tear Jerker: Seriously, how can you not feel for The Protagonist. He was forced to watch his wife executed (which is described in detail), his oldest son get shot because he wanted to hold his mother, all while his daughter and youngest son are screaming in emotional agony.