Literature: The Mystery Sphere
"This woman,” asked The Sphere, “Was she truly unbelievably beautiful as you say?"
"As unbelievable as a madman’s delusions."
"Was she beautiful to you then?"
"I’m a madman. I delude myself"
"You delude yourself that you are a madman. In any case, continue."The Mystery Sphere is a Web Serial Novel about Ryney, a Pirate with poison running through his veins, who is accused of stealing a nobleman's dragon. The story is also a Fair Play Whodunnit, but done in a fantasy setting. Word of God says that A Wizard Did It will not be used. It has an interactive componentthat makes sense in-universe that allows readers to suggest what the detective will do.Surprisingly entertaining with a quirky plot and a non-orthodox Great Detective. It can best be described as Homestuck meets Sherlock Holmes. It can be read here.
— Ryney and The Sphere set the tone for the series.
This series provides examples of:
- Amateur Sleuth: Ryney is an amateur detective. Not that The Sphere minds.
- Blue Blood: The setting involves a lot of nobility, most notably Lord Ary so far.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Possibly. Ryney has demonstrated quite a few bits of cleverness so far, but his amounts of laziness are rather...erm...
- Chekhov's Gun: Well, it is a Fair Play Whodunnit after all. It is bound to have a ton of those.
- Clueless Mystery: Surprisingly averted. The author seems to have a bit of a cartoonish hatred for those.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Possibly Ryney. It's...hard to tell.
- Crazy Awesome: An apparently intelligent magical bear riding a velocidragon to escape a nobleman's castle so he won't be eaten? Awesome.
- Fair Play Who Dunnit: Assured to the reader to be the case.
- Great Detective
- Hyper Awareness
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: Oh god.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot:
- Locked Room Mystery:
- Mood Whiplash: Chapter 3.
- Mundane Made Awesome
- Serial Escalation: There is a limit on how lazy you can be. In theory. That theory doesn't apply to Ryney.
- X Meets Y: Homestuck meets Sherlock Holmes.