The Man with the Iron Heart
is an Alternate History
by Harry Turtledove
. After the German defeat at the battle of Stalingrad, Heinrich Himmler
is convinced by Reinhard Heydrich
to help him set up a terrorist resistance
in case Germany loses the war
. Once Nazi Germany loses and is occupied The War on Terror
begins in Germany
which eventually leads to Allied troops withdrawing and leaving West Germany as a democratic, un-Denazified country where the Nazi party is now legal.
- Allohistorical Allusion:
- The continuing US occupation of Germany, the rampant insurgency from the German Freedom Front, a draft, and the anti-occupation movement from America rings any bells?
- Diana Mc Graw appears to be based on Cindy Sheehan, although leading a more successful anti-occupation campaign than Sheehan.
- The GFF kidnapping and filming of American soldier Matthew Cunningham and Soviet Soldier Nikolai Sergeyevich Golovko, which their captors demanding their respective nations to withdraw from Germany and the films are released to the public is based on the "beheading videos" released by Islamist militant groups during the War on Terror.
- Alternate History
- Black and Grey Morality: The Nazis are horrible but so are the Soviets and to a lesser extent everyone else.
- Downer Ending: A joint American-Soviet force managed to find Reinhard Heydrich and killed him while he tried to escape, but this doesn't end the insurgency. The Nazi resistance is now led by Joachim Peiper. While the Soviets remain committed to the occupation and to crushing the resistance, the Americans and British complete their withdrawal, leaving the Nazis ready to reemerge.
- For Want of a Nail: Reinhard Heydrich survived his assassination by Czechoslovakian freedom-fighters in 1942. His survival allowed him to form his plans for the aftermath of Germany's defeat and creating the German Freedom Front.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Reinhard Heydrich, but only slightly. Heydrich was shockingly, monstrously evil (he was one of the chief planners behind the Final Solution, and chaired the conference where it was decided upon) and there was a very, very good reason why the British made him their first target for what was supposed to be a campaign of assassination. When the British-trained Czech and Slovak assassins succeeded, however, the Nazis responded by totally destroying the towns of Lidice and Lezaky, murdering at least 1,300 people. This put an end to the UK's assassination scheme.
- La Résistance / The Remnant: The German Freedom Front, aka the Werewolves.
- Married to the Job: Diana Mc Graw becomes too involved in politics that once the occupation is over, she isn't so sure that she is satisfied in going back to being the traditional housewife and already her marriage is close to breaking apart especially when she had a brief affair with a local San Francisco politician named Marvin (whom she was disregardful of remembering his last name).
- Monumental Damage: St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, and the Eiffel Tower are leveled by the GFF.
- Recycled INSPACE: The entire premise of the story is essentially The War on Terror set in post-World War II.
- Suicide Attack
- Supervillain Lair: The GFF's Alpine Redoubt.
- The Dragon: Reinhard Heydrich's second-in-command Joachim Peiper.