Literature: The Kingdoms of Evil
aka: The Kingdomsof Evil
"Modest worm!" Sneered DeMacabre, "can your puny intellect encompass the concept of 'public works project'? For that, you parasite, is what the Lord of Misery demands to know."The Kingdoms of Evil
is an online serialized novel about Freetrick Fiend, a college student who finds out he's the new ruler of the Kingdoms of Evil.
As the new focus of all evil in the world, Freetrick must survive court intrigues, well-justified foreign invasion, internal rebellions, and a looming environmental catastrophe that might just kill everyone anyway. Because in a land of constant shadow, what do the monsters eat?
This web-novel provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Madene
- Alien Lunch: Most of the plant-life in Skrea is toxic; however, Freetrick just needs to kill an animal before eating to avoid poisoning himself.
- Amazon Brigade: The Warrior Maidens of the nation of Virgin Soil
- Badass Grandpa: Teirchoke
- Banana Republic: Although The Kingdoms of Evil resemble Mordor, they are actually a Banana Republic.
- Battle Couple:
- Freetrick and Bloodbyrn. Aww.
- Also Istain and Madene. Ew.
- Becoming the Mask: How much is being evil a role, and how much personality?
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Freetrick and Bloodbyrn, sorry! I mean, Bloodbyrn and Freetrick.
- Berserk Button: Kendrick and anything from Skrea.
- Big Bad: Subverted since the main character IS the Big Bad.
- Big Bad Friend: Exploited. Istain is sent to Skrea as a spy by the Rationalist Union specifically because Freetrick and him were friends since kindergarten.
- Same story with Zethara and her parents.
- Body Horror: Skrean monsters
- Bondage Is Bad: Thus, it's the standard Skrean mating custom.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Istain
- By-the-Book Cop: Professor-Colonel Phinneas.
- Cain and Abel: Freetrick and his half-brother, Feerix.
- Call to Adventure : in the form of an evil letter.
- Crapsack World: Maybe not the whole world, but certainly the Kingdoms of Evil
- Culture Clash: Everyone and everywhere
- Cursed with Awesome: Freetrick is forced to rule half a continent
- Deadpan Snarker: Mr. Skree
- Decoy Protagonist: Pon, who appears to be a Farm Boy on his way to seek his fortune. You know, before he's slaughtered.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance:
- Everyone in the book versus each other.
- Skreans versus you
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Most of the population of Skrea has this problem.
- Evil Minions: Most of the population of Skrea, subverted for some characters.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Averted, thanks to Universal Science (basically real-world physics, chemistry, etc.).
- Festering Fungus: Everything Evil!Freetrick touches during his time in the RU gets this growing on it. According to Word of God, it's the result of good and evil magic reacting to each other.
- Foreign Cuss Word: Strike it out, this is gibberish!
- Formulaic Magic: Word Magic, but it uses sentence structure instead of math as the formulae in question.
- Good Is Bad And Bad Is Good: The Skrean mindset. Thus, "Unspeakably ghastly to meet you" and "hideous morrow" are polite greetings.
- Grey and Gray Morality: The main character is put in charge of all the evil in the world. Next step, figure out what the hell evil actually is.
- Guile Hero: Freetrick Feend
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Mr. Skree
- Killed Off for Real:
- Magitek: Word Magic, due to it's Powers as Programs nature, can be used to turn pocket mirrors into Smartphones. There is also mention of Word Magic cybernetics.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Freetrick and Bloodbyrn, and all of the associated Culture Clash.
- Matriarchy: The nation of Virgin Soil
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Freetrick's spends most of his time in the company of female dark aristocrats trying desperately not to look down. Mostly because he gets a slap if he does.
- Obviously Evil: Subverted with every Skrean character.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Although he's in college, Freetrick and most of the other main characters before they hear the Callto Adventure.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Many different types. Mr. Skree, for example, is rather like a three-way cross between a bat, a snake, and a human, but is still called a vampire, whereas Bloodbyrn's father, Lord DeMacabre, looks like a week-old corpse. Bloodbyrn herself is of the sexy variety.
- Religion is Magic: Magic only works in the country the god/dess associated with it patronizes. Thus, Word Magic only works in the Rationalist Union, Love Wielding only in the Nation of Love, Virgin Magic in Virgin Soil, and Necromancy and Blood Magic in Skrea.
- Religionof Evil: Skrea...is one.
- Right-Hand Cat: Bloodbyrn, after some convincing.
- Sarashi: Skrean undergarments consist of bandage-like wrappings.
- Simultaneous Arcs: Arcs that follow the main characters.
- Subverted Trope: The main good guy is the king of evil, the bad guy is the hero.
- The Chosen One: Kendrick, when he becomes the Paladin.
- The Jeeves: Mr. Skree
- Treacherous Advisor: DeMacabre for certain, and possibly everyone else in Skrea.
- You Keep Using That Word: Love Wielders use "esteem" (which for the record, is a synonymn for "pride") to mean anything from positive energy to brownie points in an argument, including a slang term for ejactulate ( which leads to some uncomfortable imagery when Zethara greets her father).
- Walking Wasteland: Evil!Freetrick's presence causes plants to die.