A series of Meg Cabot
books about Heather Wells, a former child Idol Singer
, whose label dropped her. She now works at a university as a dorm administrator. In every book, someone ends up dead, and Heather investigates while dealing with her crazy co-workers, annoying, cheating ex-boyfriend (also a famous pop star) a police officer who believes she's nothing but trouble, and her huge crush on her roommate/landlord/former flame's brother.
So far the series consists of four titles:
- Size Twelve Is Not Fat
- Size 14 Is Not Fat Either
- Big Boned
- Size 12 and Ready to Rock
- Always Murder
- Amateur Sleuth: Heather Wells, obviously.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Used with some frequency in the books
Jordan: Dead girls and condoms and drug dealers. And you smoke now. What kind of life is this, Heather? What kind of life?
- Ascended Extra: Gavin McGoren appears in Size 12 Is Not Fat when Heather chases him down for elevator surfing. He has a more significant role in Size 14 Is Not Fat Either.
- Black Sheep: Cooper Cartwright, after he refused to join Easy Street with his brother and sign with Cartwright Records, instead becoming a private detective.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Happens with Cooper. Although they don't always correct the error.
- Hidden Depths: Tania Trace. When we first hear about her, she's just the pop superstar who Heather caught in flagrante with Jordan. In the fourth book, she reveals a surpisingly sweet nature, an abusive ex-husband she's trying to avoid, and shows that she and Jordan really do care about each other and their unborn child.
- I Have Your Hall Resident: Gavin in Size 14 Is Not Fat Either.
- Mystery Magnet: Heather again.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Jordan Cartwright, Heather's ex from boy band Easy Street, bears a certain resemblance to Nick Carter of Backstreet Boys. With a little Justin Timberlake thrown in.
- Parental Abandonment: Heather's mom took off with her manager and all Heather's money. Her dad's in jail.
- Private Detective: Cooper Cartwright
- Starbucks Skin Scale: Tania Trace is described as having "cappucino" skin.
- Sue Donym: In Size 14... Heather Snelling
Size 4 Girl: Ohmigod, she DOES look like Heather Wells!