He's playing with her heart. . . and her life
A series written by L.J. Smith
. The Forbidden Game tells the story of Jenny Thornton, a girl who buys a board game for her boyfriend's birthday party. She finds herself drawn to the strange boy who sold her the game. When her and her six friends start to play the game, the fun quickly turns to terror as they are sucked into the game. The first three books in the series are:
Lisa has stated on her site
- The Hunter, 1994
- The Chase, 1994
- The Kill, 1994
that she is going to write a sequel called Forbidden Game: Rematch
, after she is done writing Strange Fate
and Brionwy's Lullaby
The Forbidden Game contains examples of:
- Axe Crazy: Book two opens with the perspective of a boy obsessed with hunting.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Julian is blond and torments the protagonists with the titular game.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: When Julian makes it clear that Jenny will be his prize should they lose the game, Tom tries to tackle him. Then Julian starts the game for real, nightmares and all.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Used In-Universe. After an accident at her Grandfather's house, Jenny was covered in scratches, her clothes were torn and she refused to talk to anyone. Jenny's friends had been under the assumption that her Grandfather had hurt her before disappearing, but after confronting her memory in the game they eventually find out it was the Shadow Men.
- The Fair Folk: The Shadow Men.
- The Game Plays You: The entire premise of the story is that a bunch of teenagers play an evil board game.
- Love Triangle: Jenny, Julian, and Tom are part of one.
- Nice Guy: Tom. It's why Jenny cares about him so much.
- Satellite Love Interest: Tom is not characterized as much in The Hunter, but gets some Character Development in the other books.
- Stalker with a Crush: Julian acts this way towards Jenny.
- Villainous Crush: Julian towards Jenny. He even compares it to Hades and Persephone.