Literature: The Dreaming Dark
A trilogy of Eberron novels by the creator of Eberron himself, Keith Baker. They follow four of the iconic characters from the setting—Daine the grizzled veteran, Pierce the warforged soldier, Jode the halfling healer and Lei the scion of House Cannith.The series starts with the Last War ending. Not knowing what else to do, the four go to Sharn, where Lei has a fiancÚ waiting for her. But they quickly become embroiled in plot and intrigue, starting with the fact that Lei's betrothed has been murdered.The books in this series are:
- The City of Towers
- The Shattered Land
- The Gates of Night
Contains examples of:
- Accidental Truth: Jode's bluff to get them into the city. Daine is a scion of Deneith, Jode is possibly a scion of Jarasco, Lei's parents did invent the warforged, and Pierce was created to protect Lei.
- Ancestral Weapon: Daine's sword, which belonged to his grandfather.
- Badass: All of the main characters. Yes, including Jode.
- Big Bad: The Dreaming Dark by proxy.
- The Big Guy: Pierce.
- Deadly Doctor: Jode.
- Defector from Decadence: Daine feels this way.
- Deliberately Cute Child: The goblin girl who may not even be a child—Daine's not good at judging their age.
- Deus ex Machina: Type 4 when Daine manifests an aberrant mark in book three.
- Easy Amnesia: The party was actually inside Cyre during the Mourning. Next thing they know, they're right on the border, with no memory of how they got there.
- Eldritch Abomination: The mind flayer and the quori.
- The Insomniac: Pierce is a type 4.
- The Medic: Jode. Lei always works like this for Pierce.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Lei is actually a highly advanced warforged.