''The Dark Side of Nowhere'' is a YoungAdult ScienceFiction novel by Neal Schusterman.
Jason is having a bad day. The kind of day when you just don't feel like yourself. Only for Jason, it's not just a feeling. He really isn't himself.Not any more.Who is he? That's the problem. Jason isn't sure. And it's not just him. Everyone in town is acting weird. His friends. His parents. Everyone. Billington is usually such a normal town. As Jason is about to discover, nothing will ever be normal again.
!!This Book contains examples of:
* AsYouKnow: The story of the warrior fools.
* FaceOfAnAngelMindOfADemon: The aliens. Jason looks at his reflection and wonders if it's possible for a monster to look like a god, and later theorizes it's a defense mechanism to make conquest easier.
* GoingNative: What the aliens, mainly Jason's parents, did when they thought the invasion fleet wasn't coming. [[spoiler: And it's how Jason's family ends the novel, prepared to turn traitors for humanity's sake.]]
* HerBoyfriendsJacket: There's a gender reversal of this. Girls wearing their boyfriend's letter-jacket to signify that they are together is a custom in their high-school, but where protagonist Jason gets together with his athletic tomboy love interest, he wears her baseball cap.
* IJustWantToBeSpecial: Jason. [[BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor He gets his wish.]]
* InterspeciesRomance: Jason and Paula.
* NothingExcitingEverHappensHere: The book centers on the protagonist discovering that ''everyone'' in his [[Creator/NormanRockwell Norman Rockwell-esque]] town, including himself, is really an alien. The frequent booster shots they've received all their lives have been chemicals to suppress their Adonis-level good looks and blend in with humanity. And the message has just come through that the time has come to gear up for the invasion...
* ShortTank: Little League player Paula Quinn out pitched ugly, angry, Bully Chambers but right afterwords, to erase his humiliation, asked him out on a date.
* SmallTownBoredom: The book starts out with the protagonist thinking like this. Then he discovers that he and most people in the town are actually a race of aliens gearing up for a full-scale invasion.
* TownWithADarkSecret: Jason finds out that everyone in Billington is an alien.