Literature: The Britwank Empire
"Stop the revolution, save the world."Written by AnalyticalEngine the Britwank Empire is one of a series of alternate history timelines in the so-called "Strangerverse", and hosted on AlternateHistory.com.The basic premise is that a time traveller from the future has gone back in time to 1772, and gives William Pitt the Elder a mission - Unite the world to save the world under the British Empire and prevent the apocalyptic war from happening in 2258.It can be read here.Now has a sequel, in which there is a crossover with Stargate. Read it here.
Historical characters who appear or are referenced in the timeline:
- Benjamin Franklin
- Edmund Burke
- George Washington
- Thomas Jefferson
- William Pitt The Elder
- William Pitt The Younger
- And a host of others.
Provides examples of:
- Alien Space Bats
- The Alliance: Britain and its best buddies, Portugal, Denmark-Norway and the Netherlands
- America Saves the Day: Quite a few times. But it is a British America...
- Alternate History Wank: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Applied Phlebotinum: The various gifts the Stranger grants to Pitt.
- Balkanise Me: China for most of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Big Bad: France and Russia especially during the Third Great War
- Butt Monkey: Spain. And how...
- Commie Nazis: France during part of the 20th century
- The Commonwealth of Nations: The Imperial Commonwealth of Nations is a coalition of allies, puppets, dominions and colonies under British influence. It eventually covers the entire planet.
- Hypno Trinket: The rings.
- The Empire: Subverted for Britain, played straight for Russia before the revolution
- The Kingdom: Britain. Naturally...
- Multinational Team: Played with several times.
- Hiring foreign mercinaries was commonplace during the 18th and early 19th Century.
- One World Order: The eventual goal of the the Order of Albion is to unite the world under the British Empire and its close allies. All this is meant to prevent the Stranger's future from coming to pass and bring humanity to a new golden age. By the sequel, it's revealed that the plan succeeded through the Imperial Commonwealth of Nations.
- The Republic: Subverted heavily. Most of the republics are the bad guys.
- Secret Circle of Secrets: Subverted. The Order of Albion are good guys, for a given value of good.
- Take Over the World: This is the basic premise of the timeline.
- Time Travel: More than once.