Literature: Texas Vampires
A trilogy by Diane Whiteside, focusing on the vampire that rules the Texas territory
, Don Rafael Perez, and his children, and their respective love interests. The entire series takes place (mostly) during a period of time when Texas is involved in a Secret War
with the crazy New Orleans
patrona, Celeste. Flashbacks
The three main novels (there are some short stories taking place in the universe too) are:
- Bond of Blood
- Bond of Fire
- Bond of Darkness
Provides examples of:
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: completely subverted with Rodrigo, combined with The Dog Bites Back.
- Cloak & Dagger: vampires operating as secret agents for England after the French Revolution.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: happens to Rodrigo for an extremely long time.
- Double Agent: Celeste
- Emergency Transformation
- Fair Cop: Steve
- Fictionary: the terminology vampires use for themselves is based off of feudal Spain, even in other countries. Also see Busman's Vocabulary, Gratuitous Spanish.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampires: the Texas, any vampires who were taught to feed on sex/love rather than fear/terror.
- Fully-Embraced Fiend: pretty much every bad guy
- Gratuitous French
- How We Got Here: the entire first half of Fire covers Jean-Marie and Helene's romance from the French Revolution onwards until their separation.
- I See Dead People: Ethan
- Kiss of the Vampire
- Mandatory Motherhood: Rodrigo originally swears never to make vampire children, but eventually caves in.
- Mayfly-December Romance: any vampire romance with a non-vampire, Ethan and Steve being the most prominent example.
- Meaningful Rename: why Rodrigo changed his name to Rafael in Fire.
- Mindlink Mates: conyuges.
- Mind Rape
- My Biological Clock Is Ticking: the reason why Steve broke up with Ethan and married another man. It didn't work out for her.
- Never Found the Body: should have been a hint to Helene and Jean-Marie, both of whom thought the other was dead for hundreds of years.
- Oddly Common Rarity: by the end of the series, there are four couples with conyuge bonds in Texas.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Playing with Fire: Helene, a rare female, non-insane version.
- Psychic Link: vampires have this with those they made.
- Reincarnation Romance: Rodrigo/Rafael and Blanche, after Blanche is reincarnated as Grania.
- Self-Made Orphan: Celeste set this up.
- Serial Killer
- Sliding Scale of Vampire Friendliness: depends on how your vampire was brought up and what they were brought up to feed on.
- Spirit Advisor: Raoul to Celeste
- Start of Darkness: Celeste's fiance Raoul getting killed (by Helene, not knowing he was there) starts hers, though she was kind of a Spoiled Brat before then.
- Tomboyish Name: Stephanie Amanda "Steve" Reynolds.
- Torture Cellar
- Vampires Are Rich
- Vampires Are Sex Gods
- Wedding Day: well, night in this case... combined with The Dead Can Dance.