Literature / Tales of the Frog Princess
A book series by E. D. Baker
that was the very, very loose inspiration for The Princess and the Frog
. The books are, in order:
- The Frog Princess
- Dragon's Breath
- Once Upon a Curse
- No Place For Magic
- The Salamander Spell
- The Dragon Princess
- Dragon Kiss
- A Prince Among Frogs
The first four books in the series follow Princess Emeralda (AKA Emma), a tall, awkward, clumsy princess who constantly hides in the swamp to avoid her mother. There, she meets prince-turned-frog Eadric. During the first four books, Emma and Eadric fall in love, Emma comes into her abilities as a witch, and they end the curse that has been plaguing Emma's family. The fifth book is a prequel about Emma's aunt Grassina. The last three books are about Emma and Eadric's daughter Millie.
The series has ended, but the author has announced her intentions to make a spin-off about Millie's friends Zoe and Francis.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Garrid is a vampire who competes in a jousting tournament under the name "The Black Knight," but is a good guy.
- Grassina and Olivene were like this while under the influence of the curse.
Emma: If you don't have time to talk to me, I can come back later.
Curse!Grassina: Don't be silly. Of course I don't have the time.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Haywood and Grassina. Even they realize how stupid they sound in Salamander Spell.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Emma only has eyes for Eadric (though Eadric has loved a girl before Emma), Li'l and Garrid only have eyes for one another, and Grassina and Haywood... well, they were apart for over two decades and neither of them ever got together with someone else.
- Vague Age: Garrid. He looks like he's a young man, but isn't. We know he's old, but we don't know how old.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: Garrid is described as being very, very handsome.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Emma mentions that Garrid's relatives in No Place For Magic have an odd accent. Judging by the audiobooks, the trope applies to Garrid himself.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Francis's parents, Haywood and Grassina, wish he would practice magic more often, but Francis just isn't interested.
- Hinted at with Garrid and Zoe, due to Zoe not being on board with the whole "drinking blood" thing.