Literature: Strumpet City
Strumpet City is a 1969 Irish novel by James Plunkett, adapted into an acclaimed RTÉ miniseries in 1980. Set in 1903-14, it details the struggles of Dublin workers against employers.
- The Alcoholic: Fr. Giffley.
- The Disease That Shall Not Be Named: Lily Maxwell's syphilis.
- The Edwardian Era
- Embarrassing First Name: Rashers Tierney.
- Homeless Pigeon Person: Rashers and his dog.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Lily Maxwell.
- The Irish Question: Gets little mention.
- Old Retainer: Miss Gilchrist. Not that she gets rewarded for it.
- Public Domain Character: Jim Larkin, and a brief appearance by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
- World War I