Literature: Steal the Dragon
Steal the Dragon is a high fantasy novel by Patricia Briggs, the second book she ever wrote. Set in the same world as Masques, Wolsbane, and When Demons Walk.Rialla of the horses is an escaped slave turned mercenary in Sianim, content in her work. But when the Spymaster offers her a job that could potentially lead to the extinction of slavery in Darran, she cannot refuse.Tris is a Sylvan who was left to die by his people for having compassion, now a healer for a small town in Darran. But when he is offered a chance to end his solitude, he leaps at the chance.Set after Masques and Wolfsbane, and before When Demons Walk.
This novel provides examples of:
- Arranged Marriage: Making sure the marriage between the king of Reth and the princess of Darran is what starts the plot. Also what initially separates Laeth and Mirri- Mirri's parents arranged for her to marry Laeth's brother Karsten.
- Accidental Marriage: The male lead sets up a "communication spell" for the female lead that he knows is the first part of his people's marriage ceremony, intending to undo the spell after the Big Bad is defeated. However, the bride accidentally completes the magical ceremony on her own, making this an accidental marriage for both of them.
- Bare Your Midriff: Rialla's dancing outfit, portrayed on "all" the covers.
- Beautiful Slave Girl: Rialla before she escaped. When faking being a slave for the mission, she uses it to her advantage. Backfires when Tamas sees her dance.
- Blood Magic: Winterseine is implied to uses this.
- The Chosen One: Tris, the Voice of Altis
- Divine Intervention: Altis keeps Tris from waking up when Rialla confronts Winterseine.
- Dream Walker: Tris, but only for Rialla through the mating bond.
- The Empath: Rialla, who in the beginning uses it to help train horses, though she can't consistently control it due to trauma. She gets better.The eastern slave that Tamas brought with him to distract the monster his father sent to assassinate Lord Karsten is also this.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: The burn scar on Rialla's cheek where she cut away her slave tatoo and then cauterized the wound. [[It gets accidentally healed later through Tris and Rialla's bond.]]
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Rialla is this.Hinted to be a sign of her dryad heritage that gives her her empathic powers
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: A significant part of Tris and Rialla's relationship.