These books contain examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Both Kimi and Hana, though Kimi flaunts her fighting ability with wild abandon and Hana tends to reserve hers for more difficult circumstances.
- Badass Family: Kimi and Hana's entire family.
- Badass Princess: The sisters.
- Cool Old Guy: Master Goku, though he tends also to be the Old Master type.
- Real Women Never Wear Dresses: Subverted. Although Kimi, the main character, tends to be the rather unfeminine, hates-dressing-up counterpart to the rather girlier Hana, Hana, who enjoys traditional Japanese feminine activities and dresses, can be just as capable in a fight as Kimi.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Kimi and Hana. Subverted because Hana, although delighting in traditional Japanese feminine activities (flower arranging, etc.) is definitely not the stereotypical Girly Girl.