RDG: Red Data Girl
is a series of fantasy novels written by Noriko Ogiwara
. The first volume was published by Kadokawa Shoten in 2008; six volumes have been released, with the latest published in 2012. A manga series adaptation, illustrated by Ranmaru Kotone and published by Kadokawa Shoten began serialization in December 2012. An anime television series by P. A. Works
was streamed on Niconico and aired on Tokyo MX during the Spring 2013 Anime
Izumiko Suzuhara and Miyuki Sagara do not have the normal Childhood Friends
relationship. After being forced to leave his home, family, and friends to attend to Izumiko's every whim he hates being in her very presence. The only thing that they could both agree on is how Izumiko thinks of herself.
Izumiko believes that she is nothing special. A dull, glasses-wearing, 15-year old girl is how she'd usually describe herself. It turns out that that is definitely not the case. During a dangerous trip to Tokyo it is revealed that something is after Izumiko because she is a yorishiro, a vessel for a shinto spirit known as a kami, while Miyuki is a yamabushi, a warrior tasked with protecting her. Will they be able to look past their differences to fight the darkness that is slowly closing in on them?
This show provides examples of:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: The Judges.
- Mayura and Takayanagi fight each other to be the next president.
- Abusive Parents: Miyuki's dad Yukimasa is a fine example of this. He forces him to leave his home, school, and friends and then he beats him when he refuses.
- Alliterative Family: Mayura, Masumi and Manatsu.
- Always Identical Twins: Masumi and Manatsu are practically identical twins. The most notable differences between them is Manatsu has a more tanned skin than Masumi.
- Badass Adorable: Izumiko, when she's not self-doubting herself. Especially when she snaps at Takayanagi, and (albeit unknowingly) turns him into a dog.
- The Beard: Mayura suggests to Miyuki that he pretend to be her fiancee, so that she can avoid pressure to marry and he'll have an excuse not to admit his feelings about Izumiko. He agrees with her reasoning, but declines, saying that it's something they shouldn't try.
- Bifauxnen: Honoka Jean Kisaragi, the Vice-President of the Student Council. She later becomes the President.
- Big Brother Instinct: The Souda siblings towards each other.
- Bland-Name Product: In episode 2 Yukimasa is seen drinking Yuuhi ("Evening sun") beer, which is a play on Asahi ("Morning sun").
- Blue and Orange Morality: Masumi has some particular beliefs.
- But Not Too Foreign: Honoka Jean Kisaragi.
- Childhood Friends: Izumiko and Miyuki. Although the "friends" part is debatable.
- Crossdresser: Masumi loves to wear girl's clothing, much to Manatsu chagrin.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Yukimasa explains Miyuki's injuries with "he fell off a cliff." It's not a completely ridiculous excuse, but it's pretty obvious that he beat him up.
- Dead All Along: Masumi.
- Elaborate University High
- Embarrassing First Name: Miyuki hates his name and demanded that Izumiko use his Last Name instead.
- Extranormal Institute: Hojo High School turns out to be one. It's not strictly a Wizarding School, but students regularly engage in magical and mystical activities.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Miyuki's and Izumiko's relationship improves a lot after the events of their trip to Tokyo.
- Genki Girl: Mayura. Masumi and Manatsu are boys examples. Maybe It Runs in the Family.
- Ghost Shipping: Masumi takes a liking to Izumiko and asks her out several times.
- Hair Decorations: Mayura wears a ribbon at the right side of her hair.
- Half-Identical Twins: Mayura and Manatsu... Though technically they used to be Half-Identical Triplets with Masumi and they kind of still are.
- Hand Seals: Miyuki goes through all 9◊ to teach Izumiko to be able to protect herself.
- Hime Cut: Izumiko. She cut them herself.
- Identical Stranger: Takayanagi and Wamiya... It does get metioned by Miyuki and Izumiko, he suggests that they are her type.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Izumiko.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Eventually she stars to wish to be able do something with her powers and not being in the need of constant protection.
- Ill Boy: Masumi died when he was six years old because of a heart defect. Manatsu also has the same heart defect as Masumi, and Mayura said that current medicine couldn't do anything about it.
- Important Haircut: Izumiko does this in the first episode, and it turns out to be more important than she realizes: cutting her hair really messed with her already-incontinent powers.
- Intoxication Ensues: Happens to Izumiko after eating too much of the alcoholic fruit salad in episode 6.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Miyuki. Although his "heart of gold" is still deeply hidden, he starts showing it in episode 2 when he holds Izumiko's hand when she's frightened.
- Maybe Ever After: Izumiko and Miyuki at the end.
- Meganekko: Izumiko initially wears glasses with bright red frames. They're implied to help limit her supernatural abilities, but she she stops wearing them before her first class at Hojo.
- Mysterious Parent: Izumiko's, Daisei and Yukariko. Especially her mother Yukariko, who posses the same powers as her.
- Plucky Girl: Mayura
- Rapunzel Hair: Izumiko. It's connected to her power and she's not allowed to cut it; even cutting bangs for herself at the beginning of the series is implied to be a big deal.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The Himegami eventually reveals that she is trying to prevent a future in which she destroys humanity. She's made several past efforts which didn't succeed, and speculates that her current appearances through Izumiko may be the last time she'll be able to make the effort.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Izumiko. The first time Miyuki sees her with a bit of make up he can't help but blush and when she dress up for some school events she gains popularity amongst the rest of the students.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Miyuki and Izumiko are constantly denying that they're boyfriend and girlfriend. Nobody believes them.
- Shrinking Violet: Izumiko.
- Sleep Cute: Miyuki on Izumiko.
- Tall, Dark, Handsome And Snarky: Miyuki.
- Tsundere: Miyuki towards Izumiko.
- Twin Switch: Masumi and Manatsu in episode 7.
- In episode 12, Masumi disguised as Mayura during the school festival. And nobody seem to realise that Mayura (who is actually Masumi), has a rather masculine voice during that time.
- Walking Techbane: Izumiko. She can hardly keep a cellphone for long because she also breaks them. For her, using one computer will cause all surrounding machinery to go out. Trains do not like her either! Fortunately, she doesn't break planes or elevators.
- Yandere: Wamiya shows signs of this; upon learning that Izumiko no longer hates Miyuki, he tries to "remove" him. First with a knife, then with lightning!