is a science fiction novel by Stephen Baxter
. The book covers a the story of a group of former convicts stranded on a planet orbiting Proxima by the government and forced by the government start a colony.
This series provides examples of:
- Adam and Eve Plot:Deconstructed. The Colonization Unit states that Yuri and Mardina could potentialy start a colony on their own, however it would require massive amounts of incest and essentially tuning the women into baby factories.
- Anyone Can Die:A lot of it.
- Apocalypse How:The RKKV launched by the Chinese at Mercury detonates the kernels lodged there, blowing up Mercury and frying the population of earth.
- Gainax Ending: The book ends with Yuri, Steph, Liu and the Colonization Unit travelling to an unknown location via Hatch. And then, Space Romans.
- Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness:A 2. The only real lies are the Kernels and the Hatch.
- Robot Girl: Angelia, before she got converted into a starship.
- Shown Their Work: A lot of it.
- Sufficiently Advanced Aliens: The creators of the Kernels and the Hatch qualify as this.
- Tidally Locked Planet: Per Ardua is tidally locked to Proxima Centauri.
- Yandere: Onizuka and John Synge are rare male examples.