Literature: Phantom's Reckoning
is a Web Original
fiction series by troper Yuki-Akuma, who goes by author name Benny Jay. The titular first story begun in 2013 and kickstarted the series.The Phantom's Reckoning
series centres around the eponymous Phantoms
, an ancient evil once sealed in a can
, ready to wreck havoc on the world and the heroes of the story have to stop them. Though Phantom's Reckoning
was the first in the series, it was Phantom's Reckoning 2
that would establish the "style" of the series, an Animesque
shojo with focus on the protagonists and the story over the antagonists and the action.Phantom's Reckoning 3
was planned and came very close to being published, but due to a lack of interest it was cancelled, however at least two more works are in development for 2015. They are Fiction Academy
, and Time Fracture
A list of current works in the series and the dates they were first originally published:
- Phantom's Reckoning (June 13, 2013 - February 9, 2014)
- Phantom's Reckoning 2 (March 5, 2014 - July 4, 2014)
You can look at the FictionPress.Net version of the first story here
This series provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- Action Girl: Alice, Layla, Rachael, Wave and Gust.
- Backstory: Pretty much all the protagonists.
- Badass: Alice, Dan, Black Death and Seth being the best examples.
- Badass Longcoat: Dan wears one.
- Bare Your Midriff: Alice, Layla and Rachael all wear midriff-revealing clothes.
- Battle Aura: The Phantoms have purple aura, which they actually use as a means to craft things such as weapons.
- Boobs of Steel: Alice.
- Color-Coded Characters / Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The Draches. Blaze is red, Wave is blue, Volt is yellow and Gust is green. All of which match up with their respective Elemental Powers.
- Dual Wielding: Alice wields dual knives, while Rachael wields dual handguns.
- Downer Ending
- Elemental Powers
- Face-Heel Turn: The climax of the first part in the series sees Rain combining with Seth to become Heartless and dethrone Black Death and take over the world for himself.
- Fictional Country: Acerus is a generic fantasy-like country, Shikashi is Japan and Meria (which isn't shown but mentioned in 2) is Spain.
- The Future
- Heroic BSOD: Rain has a big one at the end. It doesn't get much better.
- Infinity+1 Sword: The Phantom Breaker, the sword that was what the Phantoms were sealed under, and the reason the Phantoms are after the Phantom Breaker Gems, Black Death needs them to be able to handle the sword.
- Kid Hero: The protagonists are in their late teen years.
- MacGuffin: The Phantom Breaker Gems.
- The Mole: Dan is this to the main heroes.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name is Daniel, but in the story he's always referred to as Dan.
- Poor Communication Kills: Alice seems to be more keen on rushing into a battle headfirst than actually taking the time to discuss the situation at hand with her opponent. Examples of this are when she first confronts Shinji, who was mistaken into thinking she and Rain were in on the Phantom's plan, and later with Layla, who was tricked into thinking they were her enemies.
- Purple Is The New Black: Purple is the colour associated with the Phantoms. The Phantom Mooks are purple, and the Phantoms have purple aura as well as blood.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The four Draches.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The Phantoms were sealed deep in a cave within a Phantom Breaker, of which they can only awaken if said sword is pulled. Which is exactly what Layla's brother Noah did prior to the events of the story.
- 24-Hour Armor: Alice always wears her suit of armour in the story.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Layla gives Rain a very short, but effective one towards the end.
Phantom's Reckoning 2
- Animesque: As opposed to the more fantasy vibe of part one. This one takes place in a setting based off Japan, for instance.
- Bare Your Midriff: Kaori.
- Break the Cutie: Kaori twice. The first time was prior to the events of the story when her father died, and the second time is in the present day when she finds out more about his death. The second time it requires Yuki to help comfort her.
- Makoto also prior to the events of the story, when her brother was killed by Keiichii.
- Broken Bird: All five protagonists have had something sad happen to them in their past which they must confront in the present.
- Conflict Ball: Yuki and Shoji have one that dates back to four years before the events of this story, and has cumulated now. Shoji has sworn never to forgive Yuki after (completely accidentally) killing Sora, who was his sister, and he wasn't entirely aware it was against Yuki's will either. They spend most of the story still hostile towards each other before they eventually have to patch things up between them.
- Demoted to Extra: Shinji and Layla, the two characters aside from Heartless from part one who return here, were demoted to supporting characters to make way for the new protagonists. Which is justified, seeing as they're, well... dead.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Shoji always walks around bare-footed as part of his outfit.
- Dream Land: This is where Yuki and, soon later, the others get to interact with Shinji and Layla. It's where they go in their dreams for training and/or information on the Phantoms' next move.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Definitely so for our five main heroes. They start out with a lot of obstacles to overcome emotionally, and have to learn to embrace their friendship with each other in order to help themselves out.
- Five-Man Band
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Shoji earns this reputation among his peers just moments after they first meet him thanks to his intolerable Small Name, Big Ego, especially for Makoto.
- The Future: The year 2110.
- Handwraps of Awesome: Shoji wears these.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Kaori.
- Resigned to the Call: Yuki was less than enthusiastic about the idea of fighting Phantoms, something he would like not to do again, but did it because if he didn't, he'd let everyone down.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Shoji appears to have one at first, but after a while we find out he's just masking his sorrow, and deep down he's lost faith in himself.
- Time Skip: The sequel is set nine years after the events of the first.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Makoto's the tomboy and Kaori the girly girl.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Shoji.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Kaori, of the "short skirt and boots" variant.