Literature: Path Of The Renegade
Path of The Renegade is the first book in the Warhammer40000 The Path of the Eldar trilogy focusing on the Dark Eldar written by Andy Chambers.For millennia, Asdrubael Vect has ruled the dark city of Commorragh, crushing any who dare to cross him. His reach is long and his position unassailable... or so he thinks. Yllithian, an ambitious archon with the desire to unseat the tyrant, joins forces with a twisted haemonculus in an attempt to revive a long-dead warrior and challenge the might of the overlord, both racing to achieve their goal before Vect discovers their treachery. But a cataclysm is coming, and Yllithianís actions may in fact be the cause...
- Affably Evil: Archon Maxillian is polite and accommodating for an Archon, and shows genuine affection for his pets (who are dangerous, ravenous predators).
- The Beautiful Elite: Ythillian, Xelian and Kraillach are all trueborn descendants of the old noble houses that were destroyed and removed when Vect rose to power.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Beware of Motley.
- Big Damn Hero: Sindiel goes for this at the very end of the book... He just a little late to do much other then break the worldsingers chains and get her the hell out of dodge before the place comes crashing down.
- Blue Blood: See The Beautiful Elite.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Morr does this to Kraillach. Subverted as Kraillach was possessed which is the reason Morr killed him, and it was when the daemon was in control.
- Brain in a Jar: Anvengre, and she's still very much alive. Subverted as the rest of her head is included as well, making her a literal Oracular Head.
- Came Back Wrong: El'uriaq and Kraillach due to Demonic Possession.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Those Eldar rangers you see in the prologue? They're not just there to provide exposition. Also the Harlequin Motley, especially in the later books.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: The Archon Maxillian, also see above.
- Dark Action Girl: Xelian. Doubles as a Ms. Fanservice.
- Eldritch Location: The realm of Shaa'dom.
- Evil Versus Evil: Ythillian and his allies against the tyrant Vect. Neither of them are "good guys".
- Evil Virtues: Ythillian and Xelian showing something akin to friendship is almost touching considering they're from a race which takes Social Darwinism Up to Eleven, as is Morr's loyalty to his master Kraillach.
- Five-Bad Band: A Villain Protagonist version:
- Gambit Pileup: Yep.
- Hero Antagonists: The Craftworld Eldar and Exodites.
- Karma Houdini: Bellathonis.
- Manipulative Bastard: Any Dark Eldar in a position of authority, but special mention for Yllithian, Bellathonis, El'uriaq and of course Vect himself.
- Not Me This Time: The assassination attempt against Kraillach that Xelian was framed for.
- Smug Snake: Yllithian is this all over. It bites him in the ass hard towards the end.
- The Dragon: Yllithian finds himself in this position. That is, after reviving the old king from a long dead section of Commorragh. Much to his surprise.
- The huge incubi bodyguard Morr is this to the old archon Kraillach. Xelian has her own in the form of a wych succubus named Aez'ashya, and the latter becomes Dragon Ascendant.
- The Plan: So. Very. Many. They're Dark Eldar. If a Dark Eldar isn't Crazy-Prepared, they won't live long.
- Villainous Friendship: Ythillian and Xelian have traces of this.
- Villain Protagonist: Naturally.
- We ARE Struggling Together
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.