is a Fantasy novella by A.J. Kalliver.
Lyra, a part-elven mercenary, has fallen on hard times, having been on the losing side of a recent war. We find her travelling through a remote wilderness, on her way to a distant kingdom where she hopes to find fresh employment. On the way, she encounters a handsome stranger who may or may not be a bandit intent on taking her life. There is also the greater threat of whatever (or whoever) is lurking in the forest, preying on travelers....
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Emotionless Girl: Centuries of service as a mercenary have left Lyra with a very cold and detached demeanor—though there are occasional glimpses of a very lonely woman lurking beneath the armor.
- Grey and Gray Morality: She is quite willing to do whatever it takes to keep herself alive, though in her defense it is a very dangerous world she's living in.
- Lady of War: Despite her cynical outlook and capacity for brutal violence, and the bare-bones practicality of her lifestyle, she does take pains with her appearance, and exudes a definite sense of cool elegance and refinement—even while making camp in a cold, muddy, rainy forest a hundred miles from anywhere.
- Magic Knight: Lyra is both a capable warrior (specializing in swordplay) and a powerful spellcaster (with both defensive and offensive spells).
- Really 700 Years Old: Thanks to her Elven blood, Lyra remains quite lovely at the beginning of her fourth century, though a few strands of silver have begun to creep into her hair in recent years. She admits to being vain enough to dread losing her beauty and vigor, which will start to happen in earnest in only another four or five decades.