Literature / Nemesis
Dreadnought is the first book in the superhero novel series Nemesis by April Daniels.
Before dying Dreadnought, the world's greatest superhero, passes on his powers to a young closeted transgirl named Danny Tozer. As a byproduct of the transfer Danny is transformed into her ideal self, making it impossible to hide her gender anymore.
The first book deals with Danny adjusting to her new life while trying to stop Dreadnought's murderer.
Dreadnought contains examples of:
- Badass Gay: Danny and Chlorophyll, a core member of Legion.
- Bequeathed Power: How Dreadnought's powers are passed on.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: Sarah as Calamity wears a coat, hat, and face covering bandana.
- Doomed Protagonist: Dreadnoughts tend to be the first line of defense against whatever world ending threat may pop up. No Dreadnought has ever died of natural causes, and Danny doesn't expect to be the exception.
- Eldritch Abomination: Nemesis seems to be some sort of phenomenon that unmakes reality and may, or may not, be sentient.
- Expy: Like other Superhero novels there are a lot of references to both Marvel and DC.
- Incompatible Orientation: Doc Impossible has tried to date Valkyrja, who is, unfortunately, straight. To a lesser degree, Danny has a celebrity crush on Valkyrja.
- Kaiju: They exist in this world, and there was some sort of crisis of them in the past.
- Latino Is Brown: Sarah
- Legacy of the Chosen: Danny is the latest in the line of Dreadnoughts.
- Valkyrja's powers seem to be passed on through a combination of possession and reincarnation.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Danny is very much one. So much so, that even though being naturally beautiful is part of her powers she still likes applying makeup just for the sake of it.
- Necessary Drawback: Danny can heal herself, but it causes other injuries, and it is a slow process. It's only really useful when trading a life threating injury for several nonlethal ones.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Sarah is very obviously Calamity, and Danny figures it out on their third meeting.
- Plant Person: Chlorophyll
- Super Serum: Sarah's grandfather was unwillingly used as a lab rat for one. It worked, and the effects can be inherited, but the government doesn't know that, and Sarah's family is planning on keeping it that way.
- Super Soldier: Sarah and her family.
- Take Up My Sword: Dreadnought to Danny at the start.
- The Not-Love Interest: Sarah to Danny.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Sarah (tomboy) and Danny (girly girl).
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: Sarah gets her equipment from an underground Technopath with money she takes from drug dealers.
- World's Strongest Man: Pretty much whoever happens to be Dreadnought at the time.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Sarah has leukemia.