— From the Will of Morvern's Boyfriend
Morvern Callar is the debut novel by Scottish author Alan Warner
, first published in 1995. Narrated in the first person, it tells the story of Morvern, who wakes up near Christmas to find her boyfriend dead in the kitchen.
Following her boyfriend's suicide, supermarket clerk Morvern Callar passes off his unpublished novel as her own. With the money her boyfriend left for his funeral, she leaves Scotland for Ibiza where she travels with her closest friend. The journey prompts a series of internal and external transformations for Morvern— ones which bring to light her experiences of grief, memory, freedom, and desire.
A thoughtful work of art, Morvern Callar is an intense but quiet reflection on the consequences and morality of carelessness.
The book was made into a film in 2002, starring Samantha Morton
and directed by Lynne Ramsay
This book and the film based on it provides examples of:
- 24 Hour Party People: Lana Loves it
- Ambiguous Ending
- Cassandra Truth: When Morvern and Lana arguing, Morvern tells her boyfriend's death to Lana but Lana didn't belive that.
- Crappy Holidays: See below Horrible Camping Trip.
- Character Title
- Disposing of a Body: Morvern hide the boyfriend's dismembered body at the top of mountain.
- Driven to Suicide: Morvern's boyfriend
- Emotionless Girl
- Forging The Will: Morvern used his money for funeral her Spain trip and she pretending the author of boyfriend's novel. and his body is not authorized funeral but dismembered!
- Heterosexual Life Partner/Living Emotional Crutch/Only Friend: Morvern and Lana.
- Horrible Camping Trip: Poor Lana. She slept strange country in strange road with incomprehensible friends.
- Maintain The Lie: Morvern lie to other people that her boyfriend leaves her. She revealed about small piece of truth-"boyfriend is dead" to Lana, but Lana doesn't belive that. so it remains till end of the line. and also lied about novel's author to publisher.
- Mummies at the Dinner Table: At first scene, Morvern doesn't clean up boyfriend's body and she caress.
- Unexpected Inheritance: Morvern's boyfriend left lot of money for his funeral, unpublished novel.
- Personal Effects Reveal: Morvern discovered boyfriend's unpublished novel, she change the author's name and using for get some money from publisher. Ironically, Publisher highly praised her (actually HIS) novel.
- Plagiarism In Fiction: She plagiarism boyfriend's novel by changing author's name, not exposed until end of the line.
- Posthumous Character: Yeah, Morvern's boyfriend.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Morvern dismembered her boyfriend's body listening Velvet Underground Song, 'I'm Sticking with You'. Eehk.
- Twisted Christmas: Protagonist's boyfriend DIED in front of christmas tree. WTF.
- Unreliable Narrator: (Only Novel) The Novel's narrator and protagonist, Morvern, dismembered her boyfriend's body and stolen his novel. We didn't sure about hers mental statement and narration.
- We Used to Be Friends: At the end, Morvern leaves Lana.