Literature / Mina De Malfois
of all things bad and good in fandom. Mina De Malfois — "Big Name Fan
of at least two fandoms" — chronicles the exciting life of a prolific fanfic author, as well as the comings and goings of the Sanguinity
fandom and the fanfic archive Penn'd Passions
, which is run by Mina's friend
Arc. Manages the feat of being not only a tongue-in-cheek portrayal of fandom, but also an entertaining story on its own as the reader becomes familiar with the universe and the cast. Pastiches P. G. Wodehouse
heavily at the beginning, but rapidly develops its own style.Can be read at Mina's LJ.
This show provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The chapters posted on LJ have endnotes explaining the references made.
- Armoured Closet Bisexual: Warr1or claims to hate slash, despite posting stuff like this, "Jab would never whimper piteously and rest his cheek against the torn cloth covering Pierce’s rock-hard thigh."
- Artistic License – Geography: Mina seems convinced that all of Canada is unsettled wilderness.
- Big Damn Heroes: PrinceC's avatar shows up just in time to rescue Mina, Arc, Xenalvr, and the Elizabeths's avatars from one of Henri Antoine Silvestre de Gravina's ships.
- The Cult of the Gay Unicorn, which is founded on the principles that Het Is Ew and that their beloved god is all-good, beautiful, and completely gay.
- The Cult of the Tented Tartan, a group of Heteronorminative Crusaders with Perverse Sexual Lust who are mortal enemies of the Cult of the Gay Unicorn.
- Dead Artists Are Better: After BalletChic's fake suicide, her traced drawings and fanfiction become extremely popular and are considered deep and meaningful works of art made by a tortured soul.
- Distressed Dude: Warr1or's avatar is kidnapped by P/J shippers for being anti-slash. Mina, Arc, Prince C, and Xenalvr's avatars set out on a quest to rescue him, only to find out that he's been rescued already by the Cult of the Tented Tartan.
- Driven to Suicide: BalletChic, after being publicly rejected by PrinceC. Turns out, she was faking.
- Ephebophile: Warr1or likes to write fanfiction pairing the adult Jab with a fourteen-year-old version of Princess B.
- Everyone Is Bi: Not quite, but close enough for government work.
- Female Misogynist: The Elizabeths and the Cult of the Gay Unicorn.
- Goth: Ciyerra of Tyana, the internet ghost of BalletChic.
- Heel–Face Turn: Warr1or becomes a devoted Mina fanboy after her avatar helps rescue his avatar from the Cult of the Tented Tartan.
- Noodle Incident: It's never explained what happened in one of Mina's earliest 'fics other than it caused, "people to question whether [she] should be in psychiatric care or police custody."
- Overly Long Name: Lady Horatia Marianna Wilhelmina de Malfois and Prince Choronzon Erik Vladimir de Gravina, the avatars of Mina and PrinceC, respectively.
- Perverse Sexual Lust:
- Mina harbors it for Henri Antoine Silvestre de Gravina, the villain of Sanguinity.
- Warr1or , on the other hand, has it for Princess B.
- All the members of the Cult of the Tented Tartan have it, though they deny the fact that their beloveds are fictional.
- Rescue Romance: Of a sort: Mina and PrinceC's relationship starts when Warr1or leaves a bunch of rude comments on Mina's LiveJournal and PrinceC tells him to leave Mina alone or else.
- Rooting for the Empire: Mina does this for Henri Antoine Silvestre de Gravina. To the point that she objects to returning fire when her avatar is attacked by one of his ships.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Warr1or, Mina to a lesser but still significant degree, many minor characters.
- Something About a Rose: Roses are sacred symbols to the members of the Cult of the Tented Tartan.
- Spooky Séance: BalletChic's fangirls hold one for her internet ghost, Ciyerra of Tyana. Mina and PrinceC both attend.