"The Power of the dark side is never more dangerous then when it's cornered."Darth Maul has willingly entered Outer Rim prison Cog Hive Seven, a Wretched Hive which doubles as a death match venue where the prisoners fight one another. He's in there because he is trying to find Iram Radique (whom Sidious told his master, Darth Plagueis, that they were going to kill but in fact has other plans for his particular skillset.) Meanwhile both Banda Gora and Jabba the Hutt attack the prison.
- Badass in Distress: His next fight had him chained underwater and facing an Aqualish (a species that can handle that situation quite well).
- Futureshadowing: Quite a bit , as per usual for pre-Phantom Menace stories. Notably, Maul has faith in Sidious' grand plan for the galaxy, but has secret doubts about how he fits into it. He doesn't realise yet that Sidious will always consider him totally expendable.
- Genre Shift: Like Joe Schreiber's other books, and like those, it's darker, edgier bloodier and gorier too. This time, the Genre Shift is towards prison-set Exploitation Film.
- Moving Buildings: This is Cog Hive Seven's specialty as the warden can shift the prisoner cells around till they connect with that of another prisoner. Then the deathmatch begins.
- Only One Name: Deconstructed. Dakarai Blurr needs to perfect his algorithm for his sister and serve Radique so he created his Twilek persona who goes by the name Zero.
- Single Specimen Species: Played with. The readers know the creature Maul is fighting is a Yuuzhan Vong but since this is way back in 33BBY they have no idea what species that prisoner is. Nor even what sex - some of the guards think it may actually be female. There's also the mysterious Iram Radique, who turns out to be a Chiss.
- Smug Snake: Oh there are quite a few.