Literature / League Of Magi
League of Magi is an urban fantasy series of novellas and short stories about a loose organization of powerful wizards and their supernatural minions. The stories have the flavor of mafia, noir, and spy stories. It's not uncommon for the hero of one story to appear as a villain in another. The first of these is Coldheart
League of Magi provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Teotl, Shahmeran, and Blackthorn all qualify, as they're the bruisers of their respective organizations.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The Twins seem utterly baffled by the idea of rescuing the denizens of Stillwater, but are moved when one of their minions seems to honestly care.
- Breakout Mook Character: The entire point of the short story "Wait."
- Circle of Standing Stones: Found next to the doomed town in "Stillwater."
- Cool Boat: The Machinist's submarine, seen in "Dead Drop."
- Creepy Twins: The Twins: considering one of them is a ghost and they regard humans as interesting insects.
- Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Gangster : Virgil's motivation in "Dante Ascending" is to join what he thinks is the Avalon Street Homeboys.
- Defective Detective: Chris Black in "Coldheart" is a paranoid schizophrenic who goes off his meds and can't be sure what he's investigating is even real.
- Enemy Mine: Barnes and Daoud in "Wait," though ultimately subverted when Barnes kills Daoud.
- Evil Albino: Subverted with the telepath Rose Cross. She's not really evil, but she's definitely not friendly if you're not on her side. If you are, she turns into something of a den mother.
- Fantastic Nature Reserve: The Menagerie is a zoo of all the monsters the Twins have found through the various dimensions.
- Fantastic Noir: The novella "Coldheart" (in the collection of the same name) is a find-the-girl noir tale.
- Genre-Busting: The world is urban fantasy, but the stories are closer to conspiracy, spy, and crime thrillers.
- Hellish Pupils: Shahmeran's eyes become slitted like a snake's whenever she starts using her powers.
- Lady in Red: Rose Cross often dresses in red and is known in some circles as "the Red Lady."
- Kaiju: Shahmeran, when she's in her combat form, qualifies.
- Minor Crime Reveals Major Plot: "Coldheart" begins with a woman vanishing, which reveals the titular League, including sorcerers, monsters, possessed people and so on.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Rose Cross has red/pink eyes, a symptom of her albinism.
- Spy Fiction: A weird variant of the Stale Beer variety in "Dead Drop."
- Wendigo: The titular Coldheart.