Literature: Last Dragon
Last Dragon, is a 2008 novel, a Low Fantasy novel by J. M. McDermott. It consists of the letters of Zahn, a dying empress, to her departed lover Esumi. It tells how she and her uncle Seth chased their grandfather across half the world after he murdered their entire family, which turned into a war between their kingdom and the southern lands.Not to be confused with The Last Dragon.
This novel provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: The novel's signature style. The chapters are in chronological order, but the events within the chapters are rather jumbled up.
- Blurbs Always Spoil: The final sentence of the book is on the back cover.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Averted with the arquebuses.
- The Ghost: Esumi.
- Kill 'em All: Of all the main characters, only Zahn survives the final battle.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Adel.
- Low Fantasy: The dragons are gone and apart from the golem, there's no explicit magic.
- Tastes Like Purple: Someone comments that a fruit tastes like moonlight.
- Not Using the Z Word: Grandfather's reanimated corpse could comfortably be called a zombie, but it's referred to as a "Golem".