Indexing is an ebook serial by Seanan McGuire, released in parts on Amazon Kindle. The series completed on October 22, making the entire thing available for purchase.It is about an organization who save ordinary people from being sucked into the narrative of fairy tales. Why is there an organization? Why do ordinary people need saving from fairy tales? Because contrary to what Disney would have us believe fairy tales often have a whole lot of collateral damage, and a fairly high body count. Even the princes and princesses who are theoretically slated for a happily ever after ending often end up dead when the story tries to play out in real life.How is it there are people who know when a Story is starting and who needs saving? The ATI Management Bureau is made up of people who were touched by The Story and survived.
This series contains examples of:
- All Myths Are True
- Big Bad: Adrianna
- Beta Baddie: Birdie Mother Goose Hubbard.
- Big Damn Kiss: Henry gets hers as an Earn Your Happy Ending.
- Cats Are Mean: A Cheshire Cat does a favor for Sloane but takes payment in blood.
- Deadpan Snarker: Henry, as with the other heroines of Seanan's books.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Henry and anybody else who falls under "Snow White" in the Index. A subversion of Raven Hair, Ivory Skin.
- First-Person Perspective: from Henry's point of view.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You
- Friend to All Living Things: Played with. Henry has the woodland creatures flocking to her, but she's not really excited or pleased about it.
- Genre Savvy: a very specific kind. At times the not-so-metaphorical Genre can even be savvy about itself.
- Hide Your Gays: Averted, as is commonplace for the author.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Sloane and Gerry.
- Limited Wardrobe: Henry has one by choice, but she implies that certain articles of clothing resonate with The Story and so certain people wearing certain things could be harmful.
- Magitek: Henry's car has bulletproof, charmproof glass in its windows.
- Muggles: Those who must be protected.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: In aeternum felicitas vindactio translates roughly as "defending happily ever after".
- Rape as Backstory: Henry's mother was that kind of Sleeping Beauty. In a coma, her doctor took advantage of her while she was unconscious.
- Token Evil Teammate: Sloane
- Tomboyish Name: Henrietta aka "Henry".
- Transgender: Henry's twin brother was born in a female body. When he started openly living as a man, it kept him from falling into the role of Rose Red, since that story calls for twin sisters.
- Tropes Are Not Bad: Referenced verbatim by Henry, as the tropes of fairy tales are what help her and her team identify when a Story is starting to take place.
- We Help the Helpless: The whole purpose of the ATI organization is to protect people from being swallowed up by fairy tales, and harmed as the narrative seeks to tell the story at any cost.
- Weirdness Censor: how the Bureau manages to get most of its work done without freaking out the general populace. The general populace rationalizes away whatever weirdness ensues.