Written by the same guy who wrote Thrown Into Love, Rooting for Romance
and its sequel The Birth of Something New,
I Never is a Love Actually
-inspired fic that's about six plotlines:
- Elizabeth, eighty-three year old, who is looking for her brother, Alan, who she lost in the war,
- Pete's plotline, as he falls in love with a guy named Bob
- Ian and Esmeralda, two friends who can't spit their feelings out,
- Simon and Lauren, a couple that breaks up with each other multiple times because Simon can't control his temper,
- Victor and ZoŽ, a teenage couple that has stayed together since kindergarten, and finally,
- Jamie's plotline, a guy who meets a girl in the bus, fancies her, but can't say a word to her because he doesn't dare.
You can read it here
Tropes displayed in I Never:
- Always Identical Twins: Averted in the case of Jamie and Esmeralda, who are fraternal.
- Can't Spit It Out: In two plotlines. Ian and Esmeralda are in love, but they dance around each other - they don't dare to confess their feelings to one another.
- In Jamie's plotline, he meets a girl in the bus and doesn't dare to talk to her. Arguably, that's an exaggarated form of Can't Spit It Out.
- Cool Old Lady: Elizabeth.
- Don't Split Us Up: Elizabeth and Alan.
- Follow the Leader: Like said before, I Never is inspired by Love Actually.
- I Never: The whole story is themed around this game.
- Just Friends: Ian and Esmeralda.
- Moment Killer: Victor walking in on Ian and Esmeralda, when Ian is just about to confess his feelings.
- One Steve Limit: Averted. In Elizabeth's plotline, there are two Alans.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Victor really doesn't have eyes for anyone but ZoŽ. And it seems to be mutual.
- Straight Bi: Pete.
- Title Drop: Frequently.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Ian and Esmeralda.
- Unusual Chapter Naming: The title of every chapter in the story starts with I Never.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Victor. Probably one of the few examples where this isn't a spoiler.
- Victor and ZoŽ have been together since kindergarten, but only later realized their feelings for one another, feelings that were replied. One could, therefore, state that Victor is a Victorious Childhood Boyfriend.