Literature: Hull Zero Three
"There was something wonderful before this. What was it?"Hull Zero Three is a 2010 Science-Fiction novel by Greg Bear (Also known for The Way Series).It follows the story of a man who awakens on a star ship unsure of who he is or what he is doing. Monsters roam the spaceship.If that sounds a lot like the 2009 film Pandorum, rest assured this story ends up far, far differently.
Tropes appearing in this novel:
- Artificial Gravity: Averted. The lack of gravity and the variable spin of the hull impact the characters often.
- Cloning Blues: All of the main characters are clones the ship made in an effort to fix itself.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: The spaceship is headed down this road.
- LEGO Genetics: The author adores this trope.
- The Nameless: Almost everyone except for Tsinoy. Up until the girls named them that is.
- No OSHA Compliance: Most of the ship lacks signage and easy-to-understand instructions, considering its job.
- Ontological Mystery: The main character wakes up and has to figure everything out.
- Ragnarok-Proofing: in the end the ship is able to achieve its objective.
- Transhuman Aliens: All of the protagonists.
- X Meets Y: Pandorum meets Moon.