Literature / Godsend
, by Jenna Helland
, is a Magic: The Gathering
ebook novel detailing the storyline of the Theros
Block. It is divided into two parts, Theros: Godsend, part I
and Journey into Nyx: Godsend, part II
The Planeswalker Elspeth Tirel has once journeyed to the hellenic-esque
plane of Theros, acquiring a mystical sword that fell from the heavens during the battle between the gods Purphoros
. Having failed to save the plane of Mirrodin from Phyrexia's grasp, she returned to Theros, seeking the peace and solace she longed after.
However, another Planeswalker, the bitter, disilusioned satyr known as Xenagos, has also returned to Theros, and seeks in motion a plan that threatens the rest of the plane, and incites the paranoia of Heliod. First seeing Elspeth as a threat to be destroyed, the god realises the potential she has as his minion, and reshapes her sword into a spear, named Godsend
. It is now up to her to destroy Xenagos and save Theros.
Sample chapters can be found here
Contains examples of:
- The Bad Guy Wins: Heliod gets away with everything. He has Xenagos destroyed, Purphoros lobotomised, Elspeth dead, and everyone still worships and adores him. He loses the respect of the other gods - the one thing that prompted him to start the war in the first place - but otherwise he doesn't suffer any consequences.
- Downer Ending: Xenagos dies, but so does Elspeth, and the real villain of the story, Heliod, gets away scottfree.
- Evil All Along: Heliod. Though given the hints in the Planeswalker's Guide and the cards, it's not really surprising.
- Jerkass Gods: In true greek mythology fashion, Theros gods are dickish. Even the most reasonable ones, like Thassa and Kruphix, are driven to petty extremes (respectively, careless destruction in her war against Kiora and seeking to solve the god war by cutting off contact between gods and mortals, leading to further damage, as well as lobotomising Purphoros). Only Nylea comes across as generally reasonable and benevolent.
- MacGuffin: The Titular Godsend is a blade forged by Purphoros able to damage the Nyx and his habitans far better that any other weapon.
- Rebellious Princess: Nikka, she is the daughter of a rich man of Akros and is in love with a common guy from a farm near his home, she also have problems following rules on the temple on Meletis.