Literature / Godforsaken Future
by Dan Reilly the Great is an Alternate History Web Original
story series of AlternateHistory.com
Starting in the spring of 1986, a Horde of Alien Locusts
made landfall in southern Afghanistan in the midst of the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan
. The conflict escalates
following humanity's first "victory" against the invaders when a second
alien race from a different dimension, dubbed the "Enigmas", also invade. While the world plunge into turmoil, a mysterious group that falsely presents itself as working for the U.S. government has been conducting an excavation of a city in Antarctica, a city which predates recorded human history.
Read it here
Provides Examples Of:
- Alternate History: The point of divergence from our world occurred prior to the arrival of the bozorg, such as the existence of the Philadelphia Experiment and the Convenants.
- Asshole Victim:
- Osama Bin Laden becomes assimilated by the bozorg.
- Some Oklahoman Posse, who are tinged with a nativism bent, decided to personally take out some Enigmas that crash landed in a farmer's barn. They are promptly massacred.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: How Corporal Jean Boucher, completely surrounded by the bozorg horde, 'escape' by blowing his brains out.
- Big Damn Heroes: When the Soviets start helping NATO in Germany.
Murkowski: Damn sir, I dunno about having our bacon saved by the damn Russians!
Don't feel so bad Murkowski, it could be worse! They could have been French
- Breaking Speech: Nora Silmar, one of many recipients who dreamed about the bozorg's previous conquests, tells Roger Jourgensen that humanity doesn't has a chance against the bozorg when they have devoured the most advanced civilizations that makes Earth so insignificant.
Nora Silmar: You dismiss what I say now, but mark my words Mr. Jourgensen, the seeds of our own destruction have already been sown. They will not stop, they will not rest, it matters not how many you kill or how hard or stubbornly you fight. They will keep coming long after you have run out of bullets and bombs, long after you burn the last drop of oil, and the last scrap of steel has been used to build tanks and planes. The human race is doomed, Mr. Jourgensen, and we have been warned to make our preparations for it.
- Church of Happyology: The Church of Serenology. Which implies to be a front for the Convenants.
- Counting Bullets: The human militaries makes an important issue regarding to "ammunition rationing" given to the bozorg's seemingly endless numbers. The U.S. has consumed far more munitions than they ever thought necessary, even in the worst case scenarios, despite reopening currently existing munitions factories and running them at full capacity. In contrast to the U.S., the Warsaw Pact had a far higher desire for stockpiling ammunition and are doing somewhat better in Europe.
- The Coup: The American government reluctantly aided in the overthrow of Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq in exchange for Pakistan throwing in its involvement to help the Soviets against the bozorg.
- Disconnected by Death: The American government first became aware of the bozorg was from a SAD (Special Activities Division) team that was making a desperate transmission shortly before being overrun by the creatures.
- Hive Caste System: The bozorg hive mind create vast numbers of 'constructs' with each serving a different purpose. For the most part all observed varieties seem to fill a different variation of some kind of defensive or offensive purpose.
- Hope Spot: Humanity manage to 'jam' the bozorg teleportation capabilities, but it only serves to annoy a highly technological alien race from another dimension to invade Earth and proving to be every bit of a major threat as the bozorgs.
- Horde of Alien Locusts / Planet Looters: The bozorg, short for tāziyāne-ye bozorg, which is Pashtun for "great scourge".
- Inspired by...: By Warhammer 40,000, A Colder War, a Lovecraft Lite novelette by Charles Stross, and, obviously, the lifework of H.P. Lovecraft.
- It's Quiet... Too Quiet: Comes often when facing no bozorg on the battlefield, and which is how the stealth variety of bozorg first appeared.
- Just Following Orders: How Colonel Marchenko tries to explain to General Boris Gromov for abandoning Ghazni to the bozorg, in which it doesn't help as Boris grilled him for not only he let the city fall but allowed the bozorg to assimilate the city's 40,000 people and strengthening their numbers, and properly de-rank him to Private.
- Meat Moss: The bozorg assimilate anything of biological material including plants and dead bodies that the landscape they occupy becomes a Polluted Wasteland mixed with Body Horror that produce the constructs and extend and possibly augment the psychic abilities of a hive mind.
- Mêlée à Trois: Humanity vs. the bozorg vs. the Enigmas vs. the Convenants.
- Mysterious Antarctica: The Antarctic city (R'larxstx) exhibits signs of extensive usage of non-euclidean geometry, as well as evidence of very grisly cultural customs from torture to incredibly painful forms of human sacrifice.
- Nuke 'em: The nuclear option was strongly suggested earlier against the bozorg in which the Soviet Union eventually did against the Afghanistan infestation which only results in the bozorg hivemind redirecting the nuclear energy from the explosion and use it in the formation of a teleportation portal (see Weaponized Teleportation) which instantly transports the explosion itself to a distant location. In this case, they redirect it to Madrid, Spain. Therefore, the nuclear option is rendered nil or risk the bozorg having send another nuclear explosion to somewhere else.
- The Soviets avoid the same mistake by detonating eighty one nuclear warheads at ground level to temporarily stop the numerous breaches by the bozorg on the Soviet Army lines in Operation Harvest Drizzle.
- Outside-Context Problem: The bozorg themselves that interfere in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and then the Enigmas.
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Some selected humans experienced dreams of the bozorg attacking and destroying/assimilating other alien races in the past. Initially it was believed that the dreams start to occur after the bozorg came, but one character stated that he had those dreams before the bozorg ever came.
- Salt the Earth: The humans once realize the bozorg assimilation process that scorch earth is in order.
- Secret War: The Forever War between the Catholic Church and the Convenants.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Particularly over the Iranians, Iraqis, and Israelis fighting on the same side. An Iraqi Sergeant point out that they may don't like each other, but experiences had shown him that antagonism doesn't mean a thing when politics is involved no matter what faith they have.
- Weaponized Teleportation: The bozorg hivemind possesses the ability to access an alternate dimension which it can use as a means of communicating with other hive minds across both interstellar and intergalactic distances. This allows it to increase its own cognitive abilities as well as request additional logistical support from more well established infestations. They also can redirect fission or fusion based weapon which instantly transports the explosion itself to a distant location.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Justifiably given that the story sets in the late years of the Cold War and the Warsaw Pact is already in a precarious state. Regardless, humanity is working together to deal with the invasions.
- Wham Line:
Nathan: The thing is doctor, I started having these dreams almost a month and a half ago. I started seeing these things [the bozorg] in my dreams almost three weeks before they started showing up in the news. How am I supposed to be having dreams about something before I'm even supposed to know they exist?
- On learning on how bad the Soviet 40th Army were beaten.
Roger Jourgensen: What was that Mike? Ten thousand casualties?
Mike Hamilton: No, ten thousand survivors.