[[http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3009824/1/First_Do_No_Harm First: Do No Harm]] is a Web Serial Novel by @/InsanityLord (Justin J. on Fictionpress). It follows the life of Chastity 'Vanilla' Jackson, a doctor and scientist in the 22nd Century, and the lives of her family and those close to her. Currently nearing the end of its first arc, with a small side arc put in focusing on her brother Kidari and a wanderer named Christopher. *Curently being re-written*
!!This web serial novel provides examples of:
* AfraidOfBlood: [[spoiler:Vanilla]], which is bad because [[spoiler:she's a frigging ''doctor'']], and just seeing a small amount of it sends [[spoiler:her]] into a catatonic state for a full night.
* BadassBookworm: Vanilla. She's both a scientst ''and'' a doctor, so she's obviously very well educated, but not afraid put herself in danger. The same can be said for her [[spoiler:niece, Rosalina, who defeated trained soldiers with nothing but a pencil, her hands, and a stolen knife when they tried to kidnap her from Vanilla's home]].
* BadassLongcoat: Christopher and Kidari both wear longcoats, and they're both quite badass, [[spoiler:taking on an entire city full of zombies and demons with nothing but their fists, a single gun, and magic!]]
* BerserkButton: Almost everybody in the cast has one:
** Christopher: Threatening his wife ([[spoiler:Vanilla]]) even if you have him at your mercy is a ''bad, bad idea'' and will quickly result in him [[spoiler:going into full Avatar of Destruction, Death, and War mode and destroying your body, even if you are an immortal demon lord]].
** Kidari: Turning children into zombies will make him lose control of his emotions - a very, very hard thing to accomplish, he's so in control of them, and he will unleash a wave of fire so powerful that it ''melts glass from windows and turns tiles into molten sludge'' along with putting the poor children to rest by burning their bodies to ash.
** Vanilla: She loves children, in fact she's very much a MamaBear about them. Intentionally making your child sick to get attention will get ''her'' attention, and then she'll have to excuse herself from the case in case she gives into her rage and ''throws you off of a building''. [[spoiler:She didn't, but she came close.]] Another good way is to [[spoiler:go after her niece with a rocket launcher, at which point she has no problems breaking bones.]]
** [[spoiler:Katherine: Same as Vanilla. In fact, this trait seems to ''run in the family'', as she works in Child Services for the express purpose of helping children legally. When the mother that was hurting her child for attention (she's explicitly said to have Münchhausen By Proxy Syndrome) pulled a gun out on her (stolen from a police officer that she had just attacked and stunned with a chair) and started yelling about how her son should be giving her all the attention, she kicked a table into her body to stun and disarm and coldly told her that if she weren't in such control of her anger, the woman would require a ''wheelchair'' to leave the room.]]
* BigBad: [[spoiler:Astaroth]], from the side arc. So strong that he wiped the floor with Christopher and Kidari, who had been almost unstoppable up until this point. [[spoiler:Then he presses Christopher's BerserkButton and the tables turn quite fast.]]
* BlessedWithSuck: Christopher. [[spoiler:His glyphs grant him a massive boost in power, and even access to magic if he taps into them enough (he ''hates'' magic though), but his body can't take the stress and usually gives out if he overuses them. Good thing he's immortal...]]
* CurbStompBattle: [[spoiler:Astaroth wipes the floor with Christopher and Kidari, shrugging off their attacks, the same ones that had been destroying his minions, with barely any effort in his ''human form'', which is weaker than his true form. Then he manages to enrage Christopher enough to force him to tap into his full power as the Avatar of Destruction, Death, and War, and then it turns into a quick, brutal, one-sided fight... with Christopher emerging victorious.]]
** Christopher, a lot. Most of the time he's commenting on the situation they're in, or how scary Kidari is, though.
** Rosalina is another example, as every time her [[spoiler:aunt]] Vanilla reveals more of the tech she uses/created/patented under different names, she flat out comments on how it's either impossible ([[spoiler:teleportation - Vanilla has pretty much perfected it and mocks the government scientists for not doing it right, as well as a true artificial intelligence - Vanilla is working on it, she just has a few bugs to work out]]), or not something a civilian can legally get their hands on ([[spoiler:nanotechnology - Vanilla ''created it'', and has a far more advanced version of it than the government does.]])
* GenreShift: The story shifts from [[spoiler:dramatic science fiction to action filled urban fantasy in the form of a magically induced zombie outbreak in an abandoned city at chapter 9]].
* GrandTheftMe: Pulled on Violet's husband [[spoiler:Marshall by Astaroth]], who then turned [[spoiler:Marshall into a demon just to see what kind of damage the already monstrous man could do with demonic power.]]
* NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast: [[spoiler:'''''Christopher Glayden''''', also known as the Right Hand of Destruction, Avatar to Keiji, Goddess of Destruction, Death, and War. The BigBad of the side arc recognised him when he brought out his scythe and was terrified of him, even though he had been wiping the floor with both him and Kidari mere minutes before.]]
** Christopher, who [[spoiler:gets his neck snapped by a demon in chapter 9, only to revive with little more than a complaint about being taken by surprise in chapter 10.]]
** Another example would be the [[spoiler:minotaur, that revives as a zombie moments after Christopher kills it. It gets turned to ash by Kidari moments later though...]]
** Kidari has one during the side arc when [[spoiler:Astaroth creates a lich to hunt them, and they haven't got the power needed to destroy the monster]].
*** He gets another one in the final battle of the arc, when [[spoiler:Astaroth shrugs off their attacks and [[CurbStompBattle wipes the floor with them without any effort]]]], and ''Astaroth'' gets one when [[spoiler:Christopher unleashes his power as the [[NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast Right Hand of Destruction]] and effortlessly destroys Astaroth in his [[OneWingedAngel demon lord form]]]].
* ShoutOut: And ''how''! There are plenty:
** ''Franchise/StarWars'': Vanilla calls children 'younglings', though this was an [[WordOfGod unintentional reference entirely.]]
** ''Series/DoctorWho'': Vanilla lives and works in a city called Blaidd Drwg, which is Welsh for Bad Wolf.
** ''Literature/TheDresdenFiles'': Vanilla has some crazy ideas at times (being a somewhat sane version of a MadScientist at times), including a ''robot ninja riding a robotic t-rex meant to look undead''. She had to dismantle it, though she started selling toys based on it..and kids apparently love it.
** ''VideoGame/DevilMayCry'': In the side arc, Christopher finds a claymore and a pistol and wonders if he should dye his hair white, start spouting corny one-liners, and butchering Shakespeare. He then dismisses the idea as stupid.
* TechnicalPacifist: Vanilla. As a doctor, she's sworn to heal, not harm. It doesn't really count for [[spoiler:people that attack her family though]] as the mercs that assaulted her home found out the hard way.
* UnstoppableRage: Vanilla. In the ''first chapter'' she [[spoiler:storms a villain's lair, destroys all of his robotic guards, sedates him, and hangs him upside down with a message to just wait for the police and a warning to never go after her younglings again.]]