The Fairy Tale Novels are a series of books by Regina Doman. They are fairy tales retold in modern times, with Catholic teenagers as the protagonists. They don't actually have fairies or anything else magical in them.
There are currently six books in the series: The Shadow of the Bear
, Black as Night
, Waking Rose
, The Midnight Dancers
, Alex O'Donnell and the Forty CyberThieves
, and Rapunzel Let Down
. Needs More Love
You can find the website here
These books provide examples of:
- Amateur Sleuth: Rose and Blanche, but especially Rose.
- Cool Sword: Alex's various Japanese weapons.
- Damsel in Distress: Usually the girls, but the guys have their moments, too.
- Dance Battler: When Kateri finally does the fan dance in Alex O'Donnell and the Forty Cyberthieves.
- Darker and Edgier: Black as Night. Blanche is on the run after being framed for drug possession and grand theft...
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Fish in "Waking Rose" is a male example. Rachel Durham from "The Midnight Dancers" also qualifies.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Rose has a theory that no one is really what they seem. Fish is her Prince Charming, her godmother is a fairy, and so on.
- Genius Bruiser: As it turns out, Bear writes poetry.
- Girly Girl: Blanche and Rose, in different ways.
- Goshdang It To Heck: This is Christian fiction. Rose's swear words get pretty bizarre, though. ("Holy candlesticks, sister!")
- Katanas Are Just Better: ALEX. He does end up breaking one in a fight, though.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: The Durhams have fourteen kids. The Kovachs have plenty, too.
- Meaningful Name: Rose (has red hair, a fiery spirit, and is named for the fairy tale character Rose Red); Blanche (means white, is quiet and gentle, and named after both Snow Whites); Brier, their surname, means Rose. So their names mean Rose Red ('rose' is a shade of red and pink) and Rose White (in some variations of the story, Snow White's name is changed to this).
- Bear points Blanche's name out to her and jokingly calls her Snow White.
- Bear is named for being brawny and protective of his younger brother, Fish, who is named for managing to slip out of bad situations. However, there proper names are Arthur and Benedict (Fish's other nickname is Ben).
- It gets better. The name Arthur means Bear.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Paul from "The Midnight Dancers" is a ninja clown! Who also plays the flute!
- Number of the Beast: The villain's keypad code in "The Shadow of the Bear."
- Prince Charming: Bear and Fish play this in different books for each of their love interests. Paul is also seen as this trope by a somewhat jealous Fish in "Waking Rose".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Rose and Blanche.
- Twice Told Tale: All of the books.