Emily's Runaway Imagination
is a book by Beverly Cleary
about a young girl growing up on a farm. As the title suggests, she has a crazy imagination.
This work contains examples of:
- Asian Speekee Engrish: Fong Quock, which leads to embarrassment for Emily in the first chapter.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Plince, for Emily's dog Prince. Fong (see Asian Speekee Engrish above) can't pronounce the R in the dog's name, and then everyone else in town, including her parents, start calling him Plince.
- G-Rated Drug: Emily feeding the hogs rotten apples, which have fermented and become alcoholic.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Emily's mother and father.
- Jerkass: Pete Ginty, who has no qualms about teasing the hell out of little girls.
- Miss Imagination: Emily.
- Never Live It Down: In-universe, Emily bemoans this as the consequence of living in such a close-knit farm town.
- Odd Couple: A mild case with Emily and her cousin June. June's usually very calm and rational and likes to do just about everything the exact opposite way Emily does.