Devil Proposes, Man Disposes
is a novel from the Nigerian author Francis Obimma.
An Islamistic terror organisation kidnaps the son of the Nigerian president and presents him with a choice: Either the President and his cabinet resign, or they kill the boy. Ike Orji, an A-rated field operative from CLANS-Ops, "the most secretive and deadly arm of Nigeria's security apparatus", is sent to retrieve the boy and stop the kidnappers.
This book contains examples of:
- Badass: Ike, as well as the other agents of CLANS-Ops.
- Berserk Button: Try to hurt Ike's brother, Dr. Joseph Orji, and he will destroy you.
- Bulungi: Completely averted. Nigeria really exists, and it is described in great detail in the novel. This might be because the author himself is from Nigeria.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Raven's death. He was shot, had his neck broken and was dismembered. Ike even mentions that this is the cruelest, most barbaric murder he has ever witnessed.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: The police in Lagos will arrest you if you are at a crime scene, even if you try to help a victim.
- One-Man Army: Ike is described as this several times.
- Wretched Hive: Lagos comes across as this. The city is chaotic, full of armed robbers and beggars and the police is corrupt and will arrive at a crime scene hours after they have been called.