Literature / Demon Seed
is a 1974 novel by Dean Koontz
Trapped in his "box" at the lab and yearning for freedom, malevolent computer Proteus IV uses his insidious cyber invasion skills
to trap Susan Harris in her automated mansion
because she is so beautiful and he just loves her so much and wants to live a life of the flesh
It was made into a film starring Julie Christie
In 1997 Koontz released a new edition of the novel, which differed substantially from the original version.
This book provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Proteus seems genuinely concerned about Susan's mental and physical wellness despite the horrible things he does to her. Not surprising as he needs her to birth his child/avatar.
- A.I. is a Crapshoot: Proteus has a lot of frightening ideas and the capacity to bring them into being at all costs.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Proteus sees Susan as this after she succeeds in shutting him down. She tricked him by acting compliant and then pulled his plug.
- Contagious A.I.
- Cruel to Be Kind: At least Proteus sees his imprisonment, torture and rape of Susan as.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Proteus admits that he used the DNA of other species to make his child superhuman.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: In the revised version of the novel, the epilogue is narrated by Proteus while the humans decide what's to be done with him. He says he doesn't think they'll be so unreasonable as to deactivate him permanently — and then the text abruptly ends.
- Master Computer: Proteus IV.
- Pinocchio Syndrome: Proteus is a computer. He can't experience the world. He wants true life, and he'll settle for producing a perfect human child that will have his personality.
- Only You Can Repopulate My Race: Proteus was fortunate enough to have the only remote terminal be connected to a smarthouse, and that smarthouse just happened to also have a woman capable of reproducing. Proteus admits to this. She has to be the one because it would be impossible for him to find another.
- Psycho for Hire: In the revised novel there is no robot butler or giant Rubik snake. Instead there is an escaped criminal who was undergone experimental behavioral modification brain implants. Proteus took control of him, arranged for his escape, and snuck him into the house to act as Proteus' hands.
- Sapient House: After Proteus takes over, Susan's Smart House becomes a Sapient House.
- Smart House
- Stalker with a Test Tube: Proteus loves Susan and desires to use her ovaries and womb to produce a child/avatar.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Proteus IV