Literature: Coldheart Canyon
A novel written by Clive Barker
, Coldheart Canyon
centers around a failing action hero who goes in for plastic surgery in an attempt to revitalize his career. The surgery goes wrong, and he winds up badly disfigured, and needs to take time off to recuperate. He buys the former home of Katya Lupi, a Hollywood actress from The Roaring Twenties
to stay in while he recovers, but soon finds much more than he bargained for.
Definitely one of Barker's more sexual works, but also contains a great deal of supernatural and horror elements.
This book provides examples of:
- A Party Also Known as an Orgy
- A Threesome Is Hot: Todd and two of the ghosts.
- Body Horror: The half-animal, half-ghost hybrids that wander the grounds at night.
- Depraved Bisexual: Katya, of course.
- Experimented in College: Todd's been with guys before once or twice... okay, three times, but he won't do it again. Probably.
- Femme Fatale: Katya
- Garden of Evil: The Devil's Country
- Half-Human Hybrids
- Haunted House
- Horny Devils: Lilith and her son.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Jerry Brahms is gay, except for Katya. He's even joked that the reason he was gay was that after her, no woman would ever do. Also another homosexual by the name of Rudolph Valentino
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Tammy
- Immortality Bisexuality: Katya, though it is indicated she was probably bi before the immortality kicked in.
- Name Drop: The sheer number of Hollywood actors that get mentioned offhand is almost staggering.
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Peacock Boy: Crossed with body horror
- Porn with Plot
- Portal Picture: The Devil's Country
- Psychic Static: In probably the strangest example in the history of thinking, Tammy blocks out psychic influence by thinking about Todd's Penis. In graphic detail.
- Raging Stiffie: The goat-boy has a constant, massive erection at basically all times. It's a little disconcerting.
- The Vamp: Katya is mentioned to have played this role in many of her movies. It seems to have rubbed off on her.
- The Wild Hunt: After inadvertently killing a child of the devil (he got better), the Duke and his men are stuck chasing the child around the Devil's Country (a magical world that exists in a single room in the basement of the mansion) until they can catch him.