Literature: Class 12-K
is the story about a classroom.
Okay, a classroom full of weirdos in a series of misadventures in their school and daily lives.
Written by Devil Pogo Stick, Class 12-K
is a standard high school anime with LSD and pure weirdness added to the mix.
Led by de facto class president
Maxtaro, the gang usually falls prey to whatever happens to be in their way. The author often focuses on a few characters per story.The stories
can be read here. The series is ongoing, although updates are usually random.
This series contains examples of:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: Subverted with the 5 Kings of Kaimon, as, despite the reputation of each individual, they're not really a student council, nor are they known outside of their meetings.
- Abusive Aunt: One of the reasons Maxtaro has a love/hate relationship with his Aunt Ami. She does try to do better, only to fail.
- Action Girl: Kyoko and Nagase.
- Affectionate Parody: Fairy Tale Parody as a whole is one, although some of the short stories are also parodies.
- Almighty Janitor: Maxtaro and Baku pretend to be bridge workers in Fairy Tale Parody. This doesn't stop them from leading a resistance against an evil lord and overall just being insanely dangerous in fights.
- Amazon Chaser: Kyoko is a martial artist with one nasty temper, yet this attracts some guys.
- Artificial Limbs: Baku's left arm in Insanely Bad Future, made of the strongest metal in the Moon.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Played with in Maxtaro Onimada dies in Lava, to invoke Rule of Cool.
: We all agree that if we all want to show up, at least look like a badass
- Bad Future: An entire story focuses on formulating theories about this. Hilarity Ensues.
- Bash Brothers: Maxtaro and Baku are master users of this trope.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Maxtaro and Kyoko. Ryo and Tae also count.
- Battle Couple: Baku and Nagase took out a group of alien guards during a prison break on the day they were to be executed in Insanely Bad Future. Battle Couple indeed. As of the current chapter of Insanely Bad Future, Maxtaro and Kyoko also count.
- Beach Episode: Arguably the worst one in history.
- Berserk Button: Nearly everyone so far has one.
- Insulting William Shakespeare will earn you Brad's wrath.
- Kyoko has a lot of buttons. Don't mention her lack of swimming abilities or cooking, among other things.
- Baku beats the crap out of anyone who badmouths his little sister, Kana.
- Beta Couple: Baku and Nagase.
- Big Brother Instinct: Don't insult Baku's little sister unless you want to get the stuffing beaten out of you.
- Book Dumb: Ryo Hondo is a good example. Ironically, Maxtaro Onimada is not.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: At times, they're good at this. Rarely, they take it to impossible levels.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Homeroom Teacher Jin Tao is a good teacher — although he might need to cut back the on his drinking and smoking habit.
- Butt Monkey: Although nobody is truly safe, Brad is usually this.
- Calling Your Attacks: Taken to ridiculous levels in Pretty Soldier Sailor Kyoko.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Jen happens to like someone, but won't say who.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Kyoko and Nagase get drunk from one shot glass of liquor. Hilarity Ensues.
- Card Games: One of the short stories revolves around this. Of course, it was Serious Business.
- Card-Carrying Villain: The Lord in Fairy Tale Parody, who pretty much decided to start Kicking The Dog once he realized he wasn't evil enough.
- In some cases, Nabiki can also be seen as this.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: This is the best way to explain how the majority of the cast can do most of the insane feats they can do.
- Class Representative: So very subverted with Maxtaro as Class President.
- Cool Car: The Beetle in Insanely Bad Future. It's pretty much an old Volkswagen Beetle that is completely made out of the strongest metal on the Moon..
- Delinquents: The 5 Kings of Kaimon, known to be the toughest delinquents in Kaimon High School's history.
- Destructive Savior: Parodied in Let's Hunt For Monsters!, as Maxtaro and gang save a young woman trapped in a restroom by a ghost by blowing said restroom to kingdom come using equipment similar to proton packs.
- Deus ex Machina: Parodied a good number of times, to points it's mentioned by the characters themselves when they're aware of it.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Maxtaro punching the villain right in the face in Fairy Tale Parody, even though the villain is a dark god and Maxtaro is a simple bridge worker.
- Everyone Can See It: Averted for Ryo and Tae.
- Feud Episode: Zaraki and Brad get into this in a violent manner in Make Love, More War!.
- Future Badass: At this point, everyone in Insanely Bad Future. This is what happens when a classroom of weirdos decides to make a Bad Future Scenario.
- Genre Savvy: Oh, so many characters!
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: The male cast during Fairy Tale Parody would risk the world for this.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Maxtaro has a scar across his nose. He seems to enjoy noting how badass it makes him look at times.
- Goth: Jen is a Gloomy Goth, although you could also argue that she's a poser with Deadpan Snarker tendencies.
- Hachimaki: Ryo, at all times.
- Half Humanhybrid: Maxtaro and Ryo and his sister. This never goes anywhere. Or is mentioned.
- Hand Cannon: The Magnum pistol in Insanely Bad Future. It's powered either by aliens or by magic, or possibly both. According to Maxtaro, it has vague origins but it's powerful enough to take out aliens with one shot.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Maxtaro and Baku, who both have girlfriends. Said girlfriends also fall under this trope.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: The only way for the Ninjas in Fairy Tale Parody to stand a chance in the final battle.
- Hilarity Ensues: Happens quite a lot.
- Hot-Blooded: Maxtaro is a borderline case, especially in Fairy Tale Parody.
- In the Name of the Moon: Parodied with no mercy in Pretty Soldier Sailor Kyoko.
Kyoko: That's right! Using rainbows as weapons to increase your personal gains?! This is unforgivable!! In the name of whatever the Hell I represent, I will punish you!!
- Jerkass: Maxtaro is quite the jerk. In his defense, he gets it from his aunt.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Maxtaro.
- The Klutz: Ayame.
- Kung-Shui: Ryo is the king of this trope in Fight To The Death For Stuffed Dog.
- La Résistance: Appears in Fairy Tale Parody. Sadly, Maxtaro gave them a terrible group name.
- Last Name Basis: Ryo almost always calls Maxtaro by his last name.
- Lethal Chef: Kyoko isn't a good cook.
- Lemony Narrator: The Narrator of Fairy Tale Parody is, quite frankly, a very rude person/box and serves as a punching bag for the characters.
- Les Yay: The Fairy Tale Parody plot revolves around the heroes trying to prevent this. They failed. Also led to a hilarious moment between the Big Bad and his captives
Lord: and then tomorrow, I'll make you two kiss each other.
Kyoko: ............with tongue?
Nagase: (shocked) Kyoko!
- Loads and Loads of Characters: 18 characters alone is the main cast, with a good number of recurring characters.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Zaraki, although the lovable part may be slightly off, as a majority of the cast do point out that it is creepy.
- Lovely Angels: Kyoko and Nagase are pretty destructive when working together.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Nabiki's driving motivation. She is in love with Maxtaro, which makes her willing to do anything to get Kyoko out of the picture.
- Mad Bomber: Zoey Hondo is pretty creepy when it comes to fireworks.
- Meganekko: Nagase Omiko.
- Never Trust a Trailer: Played with in Maxtaro Onimada dies in Lava, as a shout out to MazingerZ.
- Ninja: Tae.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Considering that the stories are about a class of weirdos, including demons, martial artists, ninjas, and a robot, this trope is to be expected.
Class 12-K, a mess of a homeroom filled with oddballs, freaks, and those in between.
- Red Baron: Parodied in an entire story as the entire class decides to get nicknames, and it really gets out of hand.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Slightly subverted with FB, who looks nothing like a human but has the emotions and feelings of one.
- The Rival: Ryo is this to Maxtaro during Jr. High, although there are still elements of this in their relationship.
- School Play: Kyoko plays the female lead in one. This causes Maxtaro to become jealous of the male lead. Once the male lead develops feelings for Kyoko, all hell breaks loose.)
- The Scrappy: In-Universe example, as everybody considers Gekki Taro to be annoying.
- Script Fic
- Second Act Breakup: Parodied in Insanely Bad Future. Maxtaro and Kyoko tried to break up in a reasonable way, only for Maxtaro to ruin things by pushing one of Kyoko's BerserkButtons. Hilarity Ensues.
Kyoko: (gasps and then shuts her eyes with teeth gritted. Fine, I was planning to take this break-up scene as smooth and harmless as I can give it........ (then suddenly opens her now fiery and pissed off eyes) BUT TO HELL WITH YOU! WE'RE THROUGH!
- Shout-Out: Occurs frequently, running from the vague to the obvious.
- Spoof Aesop: When the short stories give An Aesop, it's usually this.
Kyoko: And the moral is?
Maxtaro: Rip every book Gekki read to shreds.
- Stalker with a Crush: Despite his obviously perverted nature, Zaraki really seems to care about Kyoko. His stalker tendencies are played for laughs.
- Stern Teacher: Jin Tao is a bit tough, but the class does respect him.
- Super Drowning Skills: Poor Kyoko can't swim, to the point that the lifeguards at the beach decide to stop saving her from drowning.
Nagase: Yep, they said drowning 400 times is officially their limit.......started by you.
Kyoko: It's not my fault I react when someone screams shark... (her face down and twiddling her fingers in embarrassment)
- Sweat Drop: You'll see a lot of these.
- The High School Students Who Don't Do Anything: The gang only rarely does stuff actual high school students do in class, thanks to the things they get themselves into. Although most of their school activities are there, just not mentioned.
- Those Two Guys: Buzz and FB, although they're anything but ordinary.
- True Companions: Although the characters have many issues to deal with, they do a lot of insane stuff to aid one another.
- Training Montage: A rather messy attempt.
- Tsundere: Kyoko Hino.
- Unknown Rival: Kyoko and Nabiki. The latter goes to ridiculous lengths to fight for Maxtaro, even though he thinks she's a nutcase who really needs to get over him.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Played with in Insanely Bad Future between the separated Maxtaro and Kyoko. However, the separation only happens in a made-up Bad Future.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Maxtaro and Ryo are sometimes a little too eager to insult one another despite their friendship. Jen and Ayame count for this as well.
- What a Piece of Junk: The Beetle in Insanely Bad Future. It's considered beat up, and it only plays classic rock (thanks to Baku), yet it has far more impressive uses when the plot demands it.