Literature: Chronicles of Elantra
Chronicles of Elantra
: Did you ever learn anything about time in your magical studies?
Nightshade: Yes, I've learned it passes very, very slowly when I'm bored.
— Cast in Silence''
is a fantasy series by Michelle Sagara (also known as Michelle Sagara West, her pen name for The Sun Sword
series). The series has nine books, with a tenth book set for release in July 2014. The books follow the life of Kaylin Neya
as she deals with the issues surrounding the City of Elantra and the races within it and the strange marks left on her body by the Old Ones
Provides Examples Of:
- A God Am I: Makuron
- A Wizard Did It: Aerians can fly because the world has enough magic to support them. When they fly over Ravellon, they drop right out of the air.
- Badass Normal: Severn is the only recurring character that doesn't have any sort of powers or magic. He still manages to catch up.
- Bishōnen: Every single male Barrani, but especially Nightshade.
- Brother-Sister Incest: In the Barrani High Lord's line, the power to rule is passed from father to son, and the power to give babies their true names is passed from mother to daughter. Needless to say, the Barrani royal line is extremely inbred.
- Can't Argue with Elves: It's considered extremely inadvisable to argue with the Barrani, because they're Magnificent Bastards at best and Wicked Cultured at worst.
- Cool Sword: Nightshade has Meliannos which is about as cool as a sword can get in this universe. It kills Dragons. While they are in Dragon form.
- Embarrassing Tattoo: Kaylin likes to pretend that that's all hers are.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: The quartermaster doesn't have a name, apparently.
- And since, according to the Dragons, if you don't have a name you don't have a soul, he lacks a soul as well.
- Friend to All Children: Take a guess.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Averted. In a world with five races living in such close contact with each other, it's surprising that there are absolutely no hybrids ever mentioned ever, and Kaylin x Nightshade is the only Interspecies Romance alluded to in the entire series. This may be a case of Reality Ensues that is exceedingly rare for this genre - realistically, different species most likely wouldn't be able to successfully produce offspring. There are also a lot of political barriers to interracial couples in this setting and any that did succeed would likely not produce children.
- I Know Your True Name: Both the Barrani and Dragons have true names. Kaylin knows two: Nightshade's (Calarnenne) and the Lord of the West March's (Lirienne). She also knows Makuron's trues name, but flat out says that she is unable to say it, or even really think it.
- Improbable Weapon User: Severn uses a blade on a chain. How this manages to be effective is best left unanswered. But it looks very, very cool.
- The Ingenue: Subverted by a main character who drinks swears and bets at every opportunity.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: This series loves this trope. Every race except humans have eyes that reflect their mood, using a different range of colors for each race.
- Late for School: Kaylin. All the time. To the point that in the sixth book, when she's actually ON TIME, there are bets on how long this will last.
- Living Prop: Anyone remember Tanner? No? I rest my case.
- Love Triangle: Nightshade x Kaylin x Severn. None of the boys seem to actually compete with each other though.
- Mauve Shirt: Samaran appeared for one book and has never been mentioned again.
- Named Weapons: Meliannos.
- Our Elves Are Different: The Barrani are elves with sneakiness, cunning, and all around bastardry taken Up to Eleven. They've also been known to cause wars because they're bored.
- Mystical Waif: The Tha'alaani and Tara.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Elantra's Dragons can shift from human to Dragon form. Other than that, they're pretty much the same. They breathe fire and have hoards.
- Passed Over Promotion: Kaylin is still a Private, despite the fact that she saved the fiefs TWICE, spoiler: saved both the former Lord of the High Halls's sons, survived the Barrani Test of Name, saved her Sergeant's sister-in-law, saved the city from a tidal wave, survived TWO encounters with Makuron, exonerated her Sergeant of murder, saved the Lady twice, served as harmonist in recitation of the regalia, saved the Lost Children, and The Green. There are reasons for this. *cough*attitude*cough* When one imortal is explaining her situation, and lack of position to another, he says that Kaylin is in the position she is because she chooses to. From Kaylin's perspective she is a private, a helper of the midwives, and a helper of the Foundling Hospital. From the Imortal perspective, she is the CHOSEN. (spoilers) She is the Erene of Lord Nightshade, the person capable of killing a dragon in dragon form through pure magical power, Lord of the High Court, Kyuthe of Lord Anteela, Kyuthe of the Lord of the West March, Kyuthe of the High Lord, friend and equal to the Lady, backup for the Lady, friend of the Thaalani Castelord, welcome in the Thaalan, friend of the Keeper, Go-between for the Keeper, welcome in the Elemental Garden, priestess of Elemental Water, capable of freeing the dead, capable of carrying True Names, capable of telling stories in the Old Tongue beyond the greatest mages, welcome in the Birthing Caves, Student of Sanabalis, claimed Friend of Sanabalis, Healer, wielder of magic the Dragons find legendary, friend of Lord Tiamaris, friend of Tara, capable of rewriting the words of the Old Ones, Traveller, capable of a feat that killed Old Ones, capable of rewriting True Names, Savior and friend of the only living female dragon, former Harmionist, friend of the Hallione, friend of the Green... The reason she is a private, rather than a princess in the palace is because she REALLY doesn't want to be, because those are part of her life that she chooses to ignore, and because almost no-one is willing to fight her over it.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Kaylin. This isn't even a spoiler.
- Power Tattoo: The markings on Kaylin's body.
- Precursors: The Old Ones.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Nightshade and Severn, respectively, although Severn...while not as rich as Nightshade, still manages to have more money than Kaylin.
- Scary Librarian: You do not mess with the Arkon's Library. EVER.
- Secret Police: Shadow Wolves are a benevolent form.
- Stalker with a Crush: Subverted by Severn, but he watched her from the shadows for SEVEN YEARS.
- The Beautiful Elite: The Barrani look so perfect that it's actually hard to tell them apart from one another if you don't know them well enough.
- The Chosen One: Kaylin is "Chosen". Nobody's really sure what that means.
- The Empire: Subverted. The Empire is actually an okay place to live. Not perfect, but okay.
- The Mentor: Sanabalis. Since he's immortal...and can literally breath fire and eat people, he's unlikely to be subject to Mentor Occupational Hazard.
- The Multiverse: The world the story is set in is the original world, but others exist.
- Those Two Guys: Teela and Tain, when they come out together. Also, in the second book, Andellen and Samaran.
- True Companions: Kyuthe, Pridlea, fellow Hawks.
- Winged Humanoid: The Aerians.