A novel by Louis de Bernieres, with the main story set on Cephallonia before, during and some considerable time after World War II
Provides Examples Of:
- Bittersweet Ending
- Bury Your Gays: Both subverted and played straight.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Francesco dies in Carlo's arms.
- Happily Adopted: Antonia
- Heroic Sacrifice: Carlo.
- Poor Communication Kills: Well, not kills, exactly, but the entire bittersweet ending could have been avoided with the right questions.
- Revised Ending: In the movie version.
- Sabotutor: Corelli wants to get on with the people whose village his men are occupying, so he asks an Italian-speaking local to teach him how to greet the villagers in their own language. The "greeting" he gets taught is thoroughly impolite, and causes him to become even less popular.
- The Women Are Safe With Us: Corelli does not take kindly to Italian soldiers abusing the Greek girls.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Bunny Warren arrives in Cephalonia speaking only Ancient Greek, which is rendered in the novel as (unusually scrupulous) Chaucerian Middle English. As the novel proceeds, Bunny's speech becomes gradually more modern.