Literature: All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye
Christopher Brookmyre thriller. Scottish super-scientist Ross Fleming may hold the secret that could end all wars. As a result, everyone wants him, not least, as it turns out, his mother, who wants him safe cause he's her boy. But that's just the start of the trouble, as he makes a run for it all over Europe.
- Action Mom
- Embarrassing First Name: Hilary Bett
- Enemy Mine: This doesn't quite work out.
- Fairytale Motifs : Lots of Shout Outs to "Beauty and the Beast". Bell and Bett are anglicisations of the French words for Beauty and Beast, although B? is a feminine noun, which would explain the girly first name. Bett also feels a lot of guilt over what his job has led him to do in the past, meaning he sees himself as a monster. A lot of the action takes places in a big chateau in the middle of France where its owner skulks around in the West Wing.
- Genre Savvy: Bett, most of the time.
- Insufferable Genius: Most of Bett's team, and Ross Fleming, have their moments of this. Bett goes out of his way to live up to this one.
- Mama Bear: Jane/Blue Bell
- Manipulative Bastard: See YMMV.
- Never Mess with Granny: Jane.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: What Bett's team might have been if he didn't streamline them so brutally
- Teen Genius: Alexis and most of the rest of Bett's team.
- The Wrong Right Thing: Jane's husband and his options.