“Oh no, you’re just seeing things again. I’m not having a repeat of the troll incident.”
A Touch Of Madness
“Hey, my arm was broken in three places! You have to admit, I was quite able to mistake that rock formation for a troll!”
Just another day in the life of Cindi and Luna.
is a web novel written by acedude96. It details the adventures of a schizophrenic girl named Luna
Joplin and her best friend, Cindi Smith. It is told from her perspective, and as such, tends to jump around a lot. At least until she becomes God
... And even then, somewhat.
During the course of the novel, Luna realizes there's more to her than meets the eye. Her schizophrenic hallucinations seem stranger and stranger, and her paranoia is almost prophetic in nature. On Halloween, it becomes apparent that indeed something is wrong. She is confronted by an angel that didn't exist a moment ago, who tells her that she's God. And not just a puny Force of Nature or the ilk, Capital "G" God, creator of the omniverse, etc, etc, etc.
Of course, it gets really weird when The Author
jumps in the story. Arguments ensue.
The two girls end up going to Hollywood, where they meet Luna's Prophets, who happen to have a TV show about the crew already:
- Sophie Philos: The Prophet of Exposition. She not only knows that they are in a book, but she currently owns a copy. Director of Luna's tele-evangelistic/comedy show.
- Tobias Angeles: The Prophet of Death and Omens. He can see when people are going to die, as well as being able to tell what chain of events will lead to an accident from an ill omen. Plays the voice of the Author in the show.
- Agatha Angeles: The Prophet of Subtext and Philosophical thought. Plays the voice of Luna's internal Monologue.
On top of working on the TV show, Luna is still a teenager, and thus is easily bored.
This usually lends itself to some fun adventures such as the arrival of a conquering alien race, and a party with SUPERFLUOUS GUACAMOLE
Can be read on the Author's deviantART
.Needs Wiki Magic
This novel contains examples of:
- Crazy Awesome: Luna runs on this trope. Some of her accomplishments: Her singing causes people to hear non-existent colors. She summons a race of alien Nazis just to banish them to Hell. She breaks a burglar's foot with a car. By dropping it on him. She breaks out of Hell (A prison made just for her and other supernatural beings, at that,) just by being awesome enough.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Both Luna and Cindi at different parts of the book. No one buys it. Which is because the plot says they get together anyway.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Anything said in Luna's DRAMATIC VOICE! Also, SUPERFLUOUS GUACAMOLE.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: This is literally Cindi's power as the Prophet of Plot. But it doesn't trump Sophie's power to change the rest of the book.
- No Fourth Wall: As soon as Luna realizes her abilities, she instantly starts arguing with the Author, reading the last page of the book, and whining when she's not the main character anymore. Sophie has literally read the book, and the expected future interviews with the author, to boot.
- Oh Crap! There Are Fanfics of Us...: Luna takes a two chapter detour from the plot to rail on a dreadful fanfic about her and Cindi's characters in the Show Within a Show.
- Show Within a Show: Sophie's plan to spread the message of the new incarnation of God is... to make a TV show out of it. It's certainly not the most credible option, but possibly the most attention-grabbing.
- The Virus: Frank, the Demonic Zombie Unicorn Dragon creates one of these that rapidly encases San Fran in a sea of decay and debauchery.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Sophie, when she Ascends To A Higher Plane Of Existence at the end.