"For there is no worse punishment to Man, then to want to avenge and not being able to."A very, very scary short story by Nikolai Gogol.
This work contains examles of:
- A Fate Worse Than Death: Several:
- The Warlock , already dead, is gnawn at by his ancestors until the end of time.
- His ancestors are tormented by every one of his atrocities in their graves, before they rise as revenants to devour him.
- Petro attempts to rise, but cannot, and gnaws on his own bones instead of the Warlock's; he also grows beneath the Carpathians, and shakes the earth itself in his agony.
- And, last but not least, Ivan is forced to watch the terrible vengeance he inflicted on his brother.
- Apocalyptic Log: Hand in hand with Painting the Medium. Starts more or less formal, but the storytelling gets crazier, weirder and less structured as the story progresses.
- Black Magic
- Eats Babies: Kills them, actually. Own toddler nephew/grandson, even.
- Evil Sorcerer
- Evil Makes You Ugly: In case of Glamour Failure, that is.
- Gone Horribly Right: To avoid spoilers, let's just say that Ivan's plans for revenge worked perfectly... but now he himself is caught in them for all eternity.
- "Just So" Story: And that's why we have earthquakes.
- Our Zombies Are Different: The revenants.
- Rule of Scary: The reason a land-spanning undead corpse isn't ridiculous.
- Serial Escalation: Ok, there's no way it can get more vile/scary...Wait, it just did.
- You Can't Fight Fate