Lighter And Softer: Fanfiction
Fanfiction in General
- Most fluff fics are this to the original work they were based on, especially if it was considerably dark in tone.
- Hope For The Heartless (in which the Horned King is resurrected and half-forced on a Redemption Quest) has shades of this trope. While the Horned King was bad in the movie, the deepening of his character and past makes him less threatening over time. His Morality Pet Avalina and the comical Invisibles also lessen the story's pace. In the movie there were no musicals, but now many borrowed songs (both happy and sad ones) are included. While the Horned King's past as a ruthless warlord has not been forgotten and several dark themes have been added (like the Mad Pack and Arawn), the story is overall more cheerful than the movie.
- In the Darker and Edgier Crossover series Children of Time... there's the 221B series, a long string of 221-word-long drabbles. Even this series-within-a-series is not excluded from angst, but it tends toward fluffy marriage moments for Sherlock and Beth Holmes.
- Decks Fall Everyone Dies, a Film Fic of Moulin Rouge! using the Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series characters, tones down the Duke's character (and the depression of rest of the plot) considerably.
- My Little Investigations is, at the same time, Darker and Edgier than the show it takes place on and Lighter and Softer than the game it's based on (due to averting Always Murder).
- Pony Space A My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Dead Space crossover, while it does have much of Dead Space's horror and the psychological effects of the Marker, Necromorphs rarely show up (twice as of 14 chapters), and it keeps much of MLP's light hearted tone.
- In the Crack Fic All You Need Is Love, basically Death Note the Sitcom, there are much fewer deaths of series regulars and Light/Kira is much more mentally stable in this ficverse "sticking to a diet of murderers and rapists" and doesn't jump off the slippery slope.
- A Charmed Life a Ryuk/Light romance in which Everybody Lives.
- I Won't Say the Heartwarming Death Note Christmas Special where Light and L spend Christmas with the orphans at Wammy's House.
- Hans Von Hozel: "Ok so I saw a horrible scary movie call The Human Centipede and is was horrible but I make this version where it is not so scary and of the happy ending!"
- The first Ponies The Anthology featured a content warning and even a separate clean version, while the second one was specifically designed to stay within a PG-13 level. Word of God from one of the Anthology's contributors is that this actually made them think more about what was funny versus Vulgar Humor.
- In the AU Slightly Altered despite having some truly horrific moments, is still a LOT lighter in tone than the original series. As of Chapter 8, nobody apart from Buwaro's biological parents has died, not even Sakido. Rhea is oddly absent, though, so she may be dead.
- The rewrite of Sonic X: Dark Chaos is simultaneously both this and Darker and Edgier than the original. While there is more violence and horrific content as a whole, the darkness is balanced with much more likable characters, a stronger message of hope and redemption in the face of terror, and the power of friendship. And Black Comedy.
- Though Tomb Raider (2013) fanfic The Camera Loves You and its sequel The Dreaming are by no means free of violence, death and Angst, they are by far lighter than the grim, gory video game itself.
- The "Daycare 'Verse", a series of Alternate Universe modern-setting X-Men: First Class Slash Fics. In it, Charles Xavier runs a daycare for mutant toddlers, and Erik Lehnsherr is his Jerk with a Heart of Gold engineer boyfriend (instead of a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds Nazi Hunter-turned-terrorist). Instead of Fantastic Racism and imminent nuclear war, the main hazards in the characters' current lives seem to be annoying coworkers and getting set on fire by a mutant preschooler with Power Incontinence issues.