Light Novel: Yumegari
". . . . .There is no human being that does not dream. Everyone dreams, and then . . . . He may be reticent, he may have no greed . . . . . But humans sometime become martyrs of trickery when faced against the powers that control the night . . . . ."Yumegari (夢狩り?, lit. "Dream hunter") is a Japanese light novel written by Ageha Ohkawa and illustrated by Mokona of the Japanese creative team CLAMP. The chapters were published on Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Shōsetsu Asuka magazine.Yumegari is unfinished. The published chapters were re-printed in Clamp Gakuen Denki Bunko vol.1.The story is about Tatsumi Houjyou, the protagonist, seeking her place in the world after her parents's deaths, which leave her as the last yumegari or dream hunter able to enter the dreams of others and intervene. She can't do this work alone, however: she must be watched over by a yumemori or dream seer, a person who watches the dreams of the yumegari him/herself, and keep them from falling into eternal sleep. Her mother was the yumegari while her dad was the yumemori, and they fell victim to the work together...Tatsumi finds out who her yumemori is: Kyousuke Kaga, a novelist in his 20's who lives in Tokyo. Despite the warnings of the Houjyou clan, who can't find anything on him, she goes to Kyousuke and soon moves into his Big Fancy House. From then on, Tatsumi and Kyosuke begin working to reach a better understanding of their shared destiny...Here's a bit more of info, and here you have some translations.
Yumegari has the following tropes:
- Battle Couple: Tatsumi's dead parents. Mom was the yumegari, Dad was the yumemori.
Every yumegari/yumemori team up is supposed to have dynamics like this. It's said that's Because Destiny Says So.
- The Beautiful Elite
- Declaration of Protection: Kyousuke wants to do this for Tatsumi, and her mom asked him to.
- Dream Weaver: All the yumegari and yumemori, including Tatsumi and Kyousuke themselves.
- First Name Basis: Kyousuke asks Tatsumi to not call him by his last name. She refers to him as "Kyousuke-san" from then on.
- Girl of My Dreams: This is how Kyousuke met Tatsumi's mother. Later, Tatsumi and Kyousuke saw each other in their dreams as well, and that's how they recognized each other despite never having met in person.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: The modus operandi of the yumegari.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Tatsumi.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Houjyous are implied to have been this before dying. The mother was the active yumegari who drove into people's dreams and a Lethal Chef, the father watched over his wife's work and a Supreme Chef.
- Megane: Kyousuke uses glasses.
- Mind Screw
- No Ending: The first and only chapter finishes with Tatsumi apparently falling victim to her work and into a coma, just like her parents, with Kyosuke deciding to go save her.
- No Sense of Direction: Tatsumi tends to get lost very easily.
- Parental Abandonment: Tatsumi's parents fell victim to the job.
- The Promise: In the "dream scape", Kyousuke promised to Mrs. Houjyou that he'd protect her daughter.
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Sorta.
- Sailor Fuku: As sen above, Tatsumi wears a black one.
- Ship Tease - Will They or Won't They?: Tatsumi and Kyousuke seem to be headed towards this. Not helped by the age difference.
- Supreme Chef: Tatsumi says that her mother couldn't cook, so her father was this.