Also known as Hebi ni Pisai in the origanal Japanese, Snakes and Earrings is a Seinen light novel that revolves around it's female protagonist Lui, her boyfriend Ama and the sadistic tattoo artist Shiba.
It focases heavily on body modification that Lui performs on herself and her downward spiral into alchoholism. She'll learn more about both Ama and Shiba in a world where pain bleeds into pleasure...
The origanal Japanese novel was published in 2003 and was tranlated to English in 2007. A live-action movie was made in Japan. The book is by Hitomi Kanehara
, who won the Akutagawa Prize for liturature.
- The Alcoholic - Lui, dead on.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name - Ama's real name is Amadeus. His last name is Deus, which sounds similar to Zeus from Greek Mythology.
- Lui claims she's named after Louis Vuitton
- Betty and Veronica - Ama and Shiba respectively
- Bi the Way - Shiba is a bisexual sadist!
- But Not Too Bi - He doesn't mention any past relationships or show interest in any boys (or Ama) and the only person we see him having sex with is Lui...
- Ama's autopsy shows he was raped... What could this mean?
- Casual Kink
- Darker and Edgier - From body modification to BLOODY BLOODY MURDER!
- Masochism Tango - Shiba and Lui's relationship
- Mind Screw
- Sadist Show - If Lui's downward spiral with beer isn't enough, We never find out who murdered the gang member in the magazine. We also don't find out who killed Ama although there's evidence it could be Shiba...
- Lui's entire life could be a Sadist Show toward the end she questions why she wanted to split her tounge in the first place and why she wanted a tattoo anyway.. Not to mention that she pretty much starves herself out of depression...
- Then Shiba is... that...
- Sex Equals Love - Lui and Shiba end up having sex a lot, but even after Ama is murdered, Lui never says she loves Shiba. Nor does she agree to marry him...
- What Have I Become?