Light Novel: Shonen Onmyouji
Masahiro and Mokkun.Shōnen Onmyōji
is a light novel authored by Mitsuru Yūki with illustrations done by Sakura Asagi. The novel is currently serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's The Beans
and currently has 25 volumes, including three short stories and a side story.
adaptation of the light novels was later produced, written by Hinoko Seta and published by Kadokawa Shoten in the magazine Monthly Asuka
. First published on August 25, 2005, the manga is ongoing.
A further anime
adaptation titled Shōnen Onmyoji: The Young Spirit Master
, was later produced as well. Created by Studio Deen under the direction of Kunihiro Mori, the anime ran from October 3, 2006, to March 27, 2007, spanning 26 episodes.
The plot of all incarnations is set in the Heian era of Japan and follows Abe no Masahiro. He is the grandson of the great onmyōji, Abe no Seimei, though Masahiro lacks the ability to see spirits. The series follows Masahiro's quest to overcome being trapped in the shadow of his grandfather's image while fulfilling his promise to protect Princess Akiko of the Fujiwara clan and stop the hordes of demons invading Japan.
Tropes associated with this work:
- Action Hero Babysitter: Guren took care of Masahiro when he was young.
- Ax-Crazy: Kyuuki and his minions.
- Badass Adorable: Masahiro, Mokkun, Taiin, and Genbu.
- Berserk Button: If you ever try to hurt Masahiro.... you better run away, because Guren will totally kick your ass.
- Don't call Masahiro "Seimei's grandson", either.
- Same goes to calling Mokkun a mononoke.
- Big Brother Mentor: Narachika is this to Masahiro.
- Bittersweet Ending: Masahiro manages to save the world and Guren...but at the cost of Guren's memories of all the time they had together. Permanently.
- In the novels Masahiro loses his espiritual sight in the same incident. Guren recovers his memories a novel later, but Masahiro's loss seems to be permanent.
- Cry into Chest: Masahiro does this in the novels when he and Narachika are reunited after the battle with Ryuusai.
- Dark and Troubled Past: If anything, Guren's should count. Masahiro's, too.
- Damsel in Distress: Akiko.
- The Determinator: Masahiro, Guren, Seimei, and many others.
- Guardian Angel: Guren acts something like this towards Masahiro, whom he's sworn to protect.
- Famous Ancestor: Masahiro is the grandson of the famous onmyōji, Abe no Seimei.
- Fiery Redhead: Guren. 'Nuff said.
- HeelFaceTurn: Kazane
- Hot-Blooded: Despite his looks, Masahiro is this.
- I Can Still Fight: Masahiro uses this a lot.
- In-Series Nickname: Masahiro is "Seimei's Grandson" and Guren is "Mokkun" (and sometimes "Touda").
- Actually, Touda is his original/true name; Guren is the name Seimei gave him.
- Jerkass: Fujiwara no Toshitsugu, though he gets better.
- Kid Hero: Masahiro.
- Morality Pet: Masahiro was more or less this to Guren.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Hyakki-yakou.
- The Legions of Hell
- Older Than They Look: Seimei's twelve shikigami.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Parental Favoritism: Masahiro seems to be a bit favored over his brothers due to his talent.
- Poor Communication Kills: Oh lordy, Guren is mind controlled by Ryuusai and almost maims Seimei against his will. Once he snaps out of it, the shikigami come and...assume Guren attacked him on purpose, not even giving him time to clarify/explain the situation! This would have been avoided if they didn't jump to conclusions and actually let Guren talk!
- The Resenter: Masahiro's older brothers are more upset with the Parental Favoritism than they show. But in this case they are resented only with the situation and both of them really care for Masahiro and love him.
- Stepford Smiler: Masahiro after Guren loses his memories of him. He tries to endure it bravely but he breaks down when his brother comes to visit him.
- Yandere: Fujiwara no Keiko. Going as far as offering herself to demons, people?
- Youngest Child Wins: Masahiro is the most powerful of all his siblings.